DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
I'm a homeowner looking to do some DIY on my bathrooms electrical socket. I'm not sure how to rewire my new electrical socket so looking for some advice.
My current setup are the first 2 images and my new socket that I got from Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IB0ZJXE) is the 3rd image.
I know that I would have to connect the green wire to #1 (labeled red in the first image) but I don't know what to connect to #2 and #3.
Can anyone help with this?

Attachments

·
Registered
Building my last home
3,480 Posts
the first two pics show a single pole switch that is grounded.
the last pic show some device that requires a neutral by the colors of the wires using North American specifically the USA for the colors.

the problem is guessing with electronics is a BAD IDEA. your new device should have a wiring diagram that TELLS you want the RED, BLACK and WHITE wires are for.
Read the wiring diagram from the product you bought from big A

·
retired framer
61,922 Posts
The black wires from the old switch go to the red and black of the new switch
Those 2 blacks come from cables in the back of the box, those cables each have a white that are joined together.
The new switch white goes with those whites.

·
Naildriver
17,762 Posts
First off, you will need a neutral to use that switch. Look in the box and see if there is a bundle of white wires nutted together. If so, you will need to pigtail a white wire from the bundle to use with the white wire on the switch. You'll need to determine which black wire is hot and attach it to the black wire on the switch and the other one to the red one.
Good grief, y'all are fast.:cool:

Reactions: Nealtw

·
retired framer
61,922 Posts
Rectangle Gadget Circuit component Audio equipment Font

With a closer look the wire from power goes to the black
and the wire from the light goes to the red.
You will need some test equipment.

·
Wanna Be
658 Posts
electrical socket.
??
you mean switch? a socket/receptacle is for plugs.

hey, good job taking a photo BEFORE taking anything apart. That's the best habit to start.

That new switch does seem to suggest it is important to actually know which is the Line from the breaker and the Load to the Light, which isn't important with other switches. It must be a smart switch so this is important to keep it always smart. So you can't just take #1 or #2 and splice them to the red or black. You need to determine if #1 or #2 is coming from the breaker. whichever is coming from the breaker goes to Black on the new switch. Then the other black is a switched hot and goes to Red/Load.

then you have to dig into the box and fit a pigtail into the neutral bundle, which I think I see. One of those wire nuts has wires that are black but painted. The Neutral bundle is NOT that one. Like DC mentioned, that black wire nut likely has the LINE pigtail going to your old switch and that pigtail would go to your black wire on the new switch. It looks like the pigtail is #2.

ground---->green
So, #2 is Line --->to Black
#1 is Load ------>red

Neutral is the other nut with wires that are white but painted. That bundle needs to have a pigtail to the white wire on your new switch. I guess you have a pigtail coming off that new switch and if it's long enough then just take that wire nut off and include the new white wire under that wire nut when you twist it back on. Tug it a bit to make sure it's tight.
Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Vehicle

Attachments

·
Usually Confused
9,409 Posts
If you get the wiring sorted out, you might have a problem with box space. That switch looks like it takes up a fair bit of space, add some wire nuts and I see more wires tucked in the back.

·
Registered
6,014 Posts
Or you could just get a mechanical twist-knob switch. It will wire up exactly like your old switch.

If you insist on using this one, then you are correct, green to bare. White is a stumper - you don't have a corresponding wire to connect it to, at least not out where you can see it.

Follow the existing two black wires back to the cable where they enter the box. (A "cable" is 2 or more "wires" wrapped in a sheath). The cable will also have a white wire. Follow the white wire to a splice point, typically a wire nut. Add your switch's white to ALL the wires currently hooked together. They are not spares. Learn to do a wire nut properly - tighten like you mean it. If you're Bruce Banner, you want "the other guy" for this.

What remains is now red-black on switch to 2 black wires from wall. I'll tell you a secret: Normally, experimenting is BAD because many combinations will work and then kill you. However on a switch, when you have done neutral and ground correctly and are down to hot wires only, experimenting isn't so bad. Try a combination, if that doesn't work swap it.

Remember you are turning the circuit breaker off whenever getting anywhere near a wire. Since you'll be parting the neutrals, I recommend turning off the MAIN breaker. Yes, this is lots of trips back and forth to the panel, but we could all work off that Covid 5 pounds lol.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts