DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so I have a switched receptacle that I want to make constant. I want to add ceiling lights.

right now there is a 12/3 from receptacle to switch and a 12/2 that goes to the switch box from somewhere else.

I will run 12/2 from the light switch to the lights. how can I wire this to make receptacle unswitched? thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
At the switch put both black and red of the 3 conductor cable (to the receptacle) together at the switch along with the hot in. No need to change the receptacle
ok got it. so I need to bring power to my switch. so I'll be dropping a 12/2 from the lights to the switch. I'll get the power from the black and red of the 12/3? if my new switch requires a neutral do I have it in this scenario? looks like yes? so the red/black of the 12/3(which will give me power to my switch ???) connects to one terminal of light switch and the I can connect the back from my 12/2 from lights to other switch terminal? then the neutrals together ?

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
I assumed the existing 12-2 at the switch was the power source. If so, the red and both blacks go together with a pigtail wire to the switch. The new light wire black to the other switch screw. All 3 whites connected together.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.