DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a switched outlet behind the dresser. I assume the tab is broken because one outlet works off the wall switch, the other is in all the time as the tv is connected to it.

I want to install a 3 way switch by the bathroom door as I walk out from master bathroom entering directly in to the bedroom.

I know to remove the existing switch, run the xx-3 wire, install 2 new 3 way switches, connect the 2 followers to the top, then will I connect the 2 wires in the wall that I disconnected, 1 wire directly to the bottom terminal of the 3 way switch, then the other wire twist, cap, tape, to the remaining wire of the xx-3 which goes to the bottom terminal of the 3 way switch at the bathroom door.

·
Super Moderator
23,524 Posts
Do not connect by position. The terminal you are referring as the bottom is the COMMON. It might not be the bottom depending on brand of switch you buy. It will be a black colour and the other two will be brass coloured.
Otherwise your plan is sound.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.