DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I added a switched outlet in my house and I followed the schematic in this image: https://www.google.com/search?q=3+w...=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8#imgrc=B0N0VyDcWJwKVM:

The switch and wiring is working as expected, but when the switch is off, there is 48VAC at the outlet according to my multimeter. I checked ground, neutral and hot connections and everything is nice and tight. Is the 48V indicative of a bad switch or is something else wrong?

·
Super Moderator
8,873 Posts
plug a lamp in and then check voltage.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Got the neutral from an existing lighting circuit. Didn't disconnect switch from outlet, but I think I would have got the same result at the switch with the outlet disconnected.

The reason I think I would have got the same measurement is because my meter was creating a voltage divider with the switch. I did plug a lamp into the outlet and tested the voltage in parallel. With the lamp as a load, I got mV reading for off and 120VAC for on.

I believe the 40ish volts I was reading was due to voltage divider between my meter and the switch. After doing some quick research it looks like people get confused like I did when using a DVM.

I think I'm set. Thanks for the help!

·
Super Moderator
8,873 Posts
Did you use the same hot as the lighting circuit that you used the neutral from?

·
Registered
61 Posts
It was most likely capacitive coupling between the hot wire and the switched wire that was part of the voltage divider along with your meter.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes I did use the same hot for that neutral. I can see that if I didn't do this is get weird measurements. But it seems like if get those weird magenta even with the lamp in.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts