DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, hope I'm clear enough in my description. I have power (15 amp - 14-2 wire) coming in to a light fixture, then, to a single gang box with a switch that has two switches in one unit. Here's how I wired it. (All grounds are together). At the light fixture, white line in, to the white wire on the fixture. Black line in, to the White wire (colored black to show hot on both sides) going to the switch. The Black wire from fixture goes to the black wire going to the switch. At the switch box, White wire (Hot) to the top switch, common. The Black wire from fixture goes to the other terminal. Everything here seems to be working fine. Here's where I'm having trouble. The second switch will power a GFCI plug.
The Black wire (from the second 14-2 wire), goes from the common on the bottom switch to the Hot Line In, Brass Terminal, on the GFCI plug. The White wire goes to the Line In, Silver Terminal, on the GFCI plug. I have power to the GFCI outlet. When the switch is off, I have power to the Brass Terminal, when the switch is on. I have power to both the Brass and the Silver Terminals. The GFCI won't reset and has no power in the plugs. Hope you can help, thanks.
CRay

·
Super Moderator
22,448 Posts
You can't do it. You don't have a neutral. You need 14/3 from the fixture to the switch to make this work.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There is a copper tab still connected on the double swith. Shouldn't that provide power from the common side out to the GFCI? Is that what you're
referring to?

·
Registered
780 Posts
You have hot on the buse of the double switch the output of the switch is hot and goes to the GFCI but you have no neutral, the white wire on the switch is a redesignated hot. You need to have a neutral wire from the power lead (the same one connected to the white wire on the light) to provide neutral to the GFCI.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, this really helps, thank you very much, especially for the drawing. I'll tackle this first thing in the morning. I'll let you know as soon as I'm done. BTW, I'm on Hawaii Standard Time.

·
Super Moderator
22,448 Posts
There is a copper tab still connected on the double swith. Shouldn't that provide power from the common side out to the GFCI? Is that what you're
referring to?
Your problem is not providing power to the GFCI. It is providing a neutral. There is not neutral unless you run a three wire cable from the fixture to the switch.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, it's 9am in Hawaii. Just finished my Kona Coffee. Gotta run down to Home Depot for some 14/3 wire. (The hazards of having a 28yr old son that knows how to remodel) I'll let you know as soon as I finish. Thanks again.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Awesome, we are checking out at 100%. My plug tester lights, show all is "correct" with the GFCI plug and it's working fine too.
Thank you everyone. I'm real glad I found this forum.
CRay

1 - 10 of 10 Posts