DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Naildriver
14,840 Posts
It appears you have a switch loop on the Christmas lights, meaning the black and white wires are actually both black. All you are doing is breaking the hot wire from the white wire when turning the switch off , and connecting it to the other black wire (white) with power when you turn on the switch.

·
Naildriver
14,840 Posts
Ok, you don't have switch loops. Were there switches in the box before? I see hooked wires indicating so, or did you bend them? Was there a receptacle on the right side previously?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, you don't have switch loops. Were there switches in the box before? I see hooked wires indicating so, or did you bend them? Was there a receptacle on the right side previously?
It’s new construction but long story about the electrician that wired the house. I’ve done all the finish work and this is the last thing I need to get my final inspection. The wires are bent from me putting on a switch previously but had the same issue with the circuit tripping

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It’s new construction but long story about the electrician that wired the house. I’ve done all the finish work and this is the last thing I need to get my final inspection. The wires are bent from me putting on a switch previously but had the same issue with the circuit tripping
Also yes on a recpetable on the right previously that worked but the switch on the left did not

·
Super Moderator
22,766 Posts
This is what I would expect.

Black and white from right cable to receptacle gold and silver screws.
White from left cable to second solver screw.
Black jumper from second gold screw to one screw on switch.
Left black wire to second screw on switch.

·
Naildriver
14,840 Posts
More information is always good to have. Thanks. Trace back to your Christmas lights. Where do they get their power? Is there wiring to the box where they begin? Install your receptacle back where it should be. Once we find out where your power come in, we can answer better.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
So the electrician that did the rough wiring installed all the receptacles on this circuit (two on 2nd story one on bottom) there are no resets and the switch that should control them is in the pictures above. Do I need to put a GCFI breaker on the panel? Maybe it just needs to be reset?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
More information is always good to have. Thanks. Trace back to your Christmas lights. Where do they get their power? Is there wiring to the box where they begin? Install your receptacle back where it should be. Once we find out where your power come in, we can answer better.
Took one of the boxes down today that’s under the eaves. Looks like he has two blacks under one gold screw and two neutrals under a silver. Does this help?
Toy Gas Lego Machine Auto part

1 - 14 of 14 Posts