DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

61 - 65 of 65 Posts

·
Custom User Title
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
I'm thinking I should get some measurements inside this junction box which is where that yellow wire ends up:

I know there is a ground rod into the ground, I'll have to look into that a bit more.

·
Marine Electrician (LO)
36 Posts
I've been trying to follow along with this thread, but I'm a little confused at to what your current issue is.

From what I gather, you have fixed ONE of your previous problems by moving a wire on a 3-way switch from the traveler terminal to the common terminal, but you have not yet fixed your issue with switches #1 and #4. Is this correct?

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
hustler: in post 56 regarding the sink light (switch 2) and the outdoor lite(switch 3)you said: "I traced that one wire and hooked it up to an always hot wire. Both switches work independently from each other. Thank you!

so you have remedied switch #2 which controls the sink light? The sink lite does not turn off now when you turn on the outdoor light?

What wire off of switch #3 did you discover was providing power to switch #2?

Are you still using the same switch #3 still as pictured below...meaning a 3-way switch? You do not need a 3-way switch. That can be changed to a single pole switch...like switch #2.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
As far as your issue with the controlling the main light witht the two 3-ways:

Power is either coming into switch #1 or into switch #4. See 2 scenario drawings below. either case you are going to have to do some investigating/testing to see which wires are which.

In the two 3-way switch boxes:

Find out which wire is your always HOT wire. This always HOT wire goes on terminal Q or U of the respective 3-way switch.

Find out which wire connects to the light. This wire goes on the other terminal not used by the always HOT wire, Q or U.

Then make sure the wire connected to "T" connects to either "P" or "R" then the wire from "S" connects to the remaining terminal of switch #1.

Attachments

61 - 65 of 65 Posts