DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my bathroom I have a box with a switch for a light and a receptacle side by side. I need to have constant power to the recepatcle and use the switch just to turn the light off and on. I have 2 sets of black and white wires coming in to the box and a black and white for the light fixture plus the ground wire for all. Is it possible to do?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes there are 3 cables coming into the box all with black,white and ground. The diagram you have is missing 1 set of wires

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So if it is wired the way the diagram says then there should be constant power to the receptacle when the light switch is switched off?

·
Super Moderator
16,288 Posts
There should be power to the receptacle with the switch oof if wired as shown.

Did you install GFI protection for the receptacles?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There was not one there before but I had to purchase one because it is the bathroom. It is a an old place and there are no GFIs in the kitchen or bathroom. Are they wired the same way?

·
Super Moderator
9,714 Posts
So if it is wired the way the diagram says then there should be constant power to the receptacle when the light switch is switched off?
That is correct.

Reactions: andog1117

·
Super Moderator
16,288 Posts
You will use the LINE side terminals on the GFI for the power in. Any downstream receptacles would be off the LOAD side.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts