DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, Im moving to new house and my wife hates the existing swirl ceiling texture. I was wondering what is the best for me to remove it and paint it to smooth surface.

I read some advice online still not sure if I should scrape the texture, sand then prime and paint or skim coating over texture and then sand and paint.?

Im not much of a handyman but I will have time to spend on this project and really need to save money on it.

Thanks for advices

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
You could use an ANGLE PLANE to knock down the high areas than skim cost it to make it smooth. Angle Plane cost estimate is about $ 15.00.

·
Drywall and Painting Pro
982 Posts
I'd say Either skim coat it yourself or higher a pro.:thumbsup:
Here's one of my videos showing pretty much what it would take to get rid of that texture.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
If you are talking the entire house, this could be a very big job, and working on ceilings is h on your back. Vaultings add to the pain. Builders also prefer swirl or popcorn ceilings because then they don't have to smooth the ceiling to the higher quality required for a paint finish, so if you remove it you might be faced with improving the quality of the taping.

A picture so we can get a feel for the swirl might help, or, -if you compare the high spots and the low spots in the swirls, what would that measure? Some of these are very subtle and some are reminiscent of stalactites in caves.

·
Contractor/Engineer
1,713 Posts
Buy a pair of stilts for doing ceilings, a bucket of mud and a finish trowel. Also a lot of tarps for the floor.

Show her how to fill the voids and leave her to it for a while.

You might find out that she may like the swirl after all!

Some jobs are really easy when you only have to say you want it.

Just sayin' she may adjust her priorities.

I've been lucky. My wife is usually in the dirt with me, swinging hammers and breathing the dust. We laugh a lot.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Yep - had my done by pros - removed all popcorn and then skim coated it to make it nice and smooth and even, then textured it, primed and painted - perfect

·
retired painter
11,939 Posts
I detest popcorn [it's a nightmare to paint] and never miss an opportunity to suggest it's removal. Personally I like the swirl texture and it paints well. While I don't recall ever trying to remove a swirl texture I suspect it's day/night difference between removing it and popcorn. If I needed to remove a popcorn texture I'd wet it down and scrape, skim coat as needed prior to primer/paint. With swirl texture I wouldn't even consider removing - just scrape down the high spots and skim coat.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts