DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wanting to install and make sure its completely safe for about 350lbs-ish a swinging chair from the ceiling (drywall) that has a slight angle.

What is method and tools would you go about hanging a chair?

I will be using chains to hang it from.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What's above the sheetrock? Another floor or the attic?

I’m wanting to make it so we can bring the chair inside and hang it on the inside of the house also...so both.

On the outdoor ceiling there is attic with space to rig up a solid brace.

For the inside ceiling, it is below a bonus room so there will be no access to the ceiling braces.

Also, I looked in Home Depot for the hardware and was happy with the chain and the other piece of hardware.

What I didn’t like was their eye screws. So I didn’t buy anything. I’ll order if I can get better hardware somewhere else.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
One thing has me a little concerned is the slight angle/pitch of the ceiling where it will hang from.

It seems like if going through a 2x6 or 2x4 the long way without the eye hook at an angle would be fine.

But it seems like there would be some additional stress in the connection when it’s at an angle.

·
JUSTA MEMBER
19,141 Posts
One thing has me a little concerned is the slight angle/pitch of the ceiling where it will hang from.

It seems like if going through a 2x6 or 2x4 the long way without the eye hook at an angle would be fine.

But it seems like there would be some additional stress in the connection when it’s at an angle.
You install the eyebolts in a perpendicular line, not square with the rafter, then use 2 different lengths of chain, to make it hang horizontal with the floor.

ED

·
JUSTA MEMBER
19,141 Posts

·
Registered
6,679 Posts
I can't say I would recommend this at all. But if I was going to do it, I would put 2 eyebolts through a 2x6 (with large washers on the back side) that's at least 3 feet longer than the swing (eyebolts 1.5' from each end). Then I would attach the 2x6 to all of the ceiling joists that it crosses with at least a couple 4" construction screws.

Level out the swing with longer chains on one end, as required.

In any case, extending an eyebolt below the joist more than an inch or so, to support a swing is a very bad idea, if it can actually swing. You'll be bending the bolt back and forth, and it will fatigue and break, probably sooner rather than later.

·
Registered
459 Posts
what about these types of hardware?

Is seems like I see a lot of these being recommended also but it would seem like the two smaller bolts going into the 2x4, or 2x6 would be less strong than one eye bolt...not sure?

https://www.amazon.com/hardware-Cap...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=
This bracket is definitely safer than a single eye bolt. It swivels, so it avoids detrimental side loads on the eye bolt. It also has redundancy, such that if one screw joint fails, the bracket will bend but still hopefully support the swing. It is very important to get the lag bolts centered in your 2x lumber. If you are working through drywall, drill a series of test holes with a 1/16" drill bit to precisely locate the boundaries of the joist. Then drill your pilot hole directly through the center of the joist. Never trust stud finders to precisely locate the center of any joist. If the screws end up too close to the edge of the joist, the joint is severely weakened. Remember, the wood is the weak link for a lag screw joint. While the metal screw itself may have a tensile strength of 1000 lbs, the pullout strength of the screw in wood may be only a couple hundred lbs.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm going to buy this bracket but I think I'd like to go with a little larger bolts into the ceiling joists.

I'm very sure these are 2x6's (I'll verify this before I purchase the bigger bolts), so what would you guys recommend for larger/longer bolts to hold this bracket?

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
*For some reason the photo is upside down and I cannot get this site to rotate it correctly.

Alright, I receive my swivel base for hanging this chair. I went into the attic to investigate and I have 2x4's as the ceiling joists and where we want to hang it is right in the middle to two joists as you can see in the photo from the silver wire poking through the ceiling.

How would you guys go about bracing this up for mounting a swinging chair in the middle of these two joists?

I'm not a carpenter/builder but I was thinking of cutting a 4x4 to place it in between the joists. I would cut the 4x4 just barely enough to squeeze down in between the joists, making it a tight fit versus loose. Screw that down on each side of the joists.

Take a longer 2x4 or better 4x4 and run it along the top of the joists spreading out the load to several ceiling joists. Screw that down to each joist and the smaller 4x4 in between the joists.

When I say "screw" the bracing down I will use larger bolts with a ratchet that needs pre-drilled. Kind of like the bolts I'm using to install the swivel bracket.

Not sure if that would be strong enough and I'd rather it be overkill than not so any recommendations are considered.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,679 Posts
I didn't know you had access to the space above the ceiling, or I would have suggested something along the lines of what you're proposing now. I assume you're planning on using a long eyebolt through both 4x4s. If not, I would definitely recommend that, and using a couple of flat washers under the nut on the top. Do this for both ends of the swing, even if the one end could go to directly to a joist - a 2x4, especially with close to a third of it drilled out, will likely not have enough strength to hold the weight.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I didn't know you had access to the space above the ceiling, or I would have suggested something along the lines of what you're proposing now. I assume you're planning on using a long eyebolt through both 4x4s. If not, I would definitely recommend that, and using a couple of flat washers under the nut on the top. Do this for both ends of the swing, even if the one end could go to directly to a joist - a 2x4, especially with close to a third of it drilled out, will likely not have enough strength to hold the weight.

Yes. That is the access above to where the chair will be hung.

I am going to change a few things with the design.

I’m going to sister two 2x6’s next to each ceiling joists.

Each 2x6 will span the entire length of those two ceiling hoist to fasten down to the nearest wall top plate.

Then instead of using a 4x4 for the mounting of the swivel, I’m going to use two 2x6’s.

I’ll put another 2x6 spanning the top of those other 2x6’s to give it some additional support.
This should be more that adequate for 400-500lbs.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.