DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have the water on in my house my parents all these pipes I’m going to attempt to sweat on the valves. He’s a pipe cutter and cut these pipes is water gonna come rushing out? What do I need to do? Shut the water off until your house? Thanks any other tips for swimming on the valves are welcomed thank you again

Attachments

·
Registered
9,376 Posts
Yes, you need to turn off any valves that control the water supply to those pipes, whether it's the main house valve, or another internal valve.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Not only you need the main shut off, you will need your pipes where you want to solder completely 100% dry.
Soldering will fail with wet pipes.
"Wet" means even a few drops.

·
Super Moderator
6,797 Posts
So I have the water on in my house my parents all these pipes I’m going to attempt to sweat on the valves. He’s a pipe cutter and cut these pipes is water gonna come rushing out? What do I need to do? Shut the water off until your house? Thanks any other tips for swimming on the valves are welcomed thank you again
Once water is turned off to house, open a couple lower level faucets to relieve the pressure and some excess water. Some water will come out no matter what, but it won't be a lot, so just be prepared for that with some rags, towels, etc.

·
Premium Member
11,883 Posts
Those appear to be supplies to sinks or lavs. Why not use compression supply stops- no solder required. Just turn off the water, relieve the pressure, cut the pipes and have a bucket near by to catch a small amount of residue water.....

·
Registered
37,378 Posts
I would not do anything to them until the fixtures are in place so I only had to do this once.

·
Registered
9,376 Posts
But it's easier to put the supply valves on them without having to deal with the contortions of getting under cabinets and such.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
But it's easier to put the supply valves on them without having to deal with the contortions of getting under cabinets and such.
I see two sets of supplies and drains on the same wall, seemingly at the same heights. I am guessing this is a master bath with "his and her" sinks?

If the valve's go on now, when the cabinets come, unless the cabinet back is completely open, they will need to drill holes for the supply lines and drains. Personally I prefer to drill smaller holes on the cabinet back to fit the pipes instead of much bigger holes to fit the valve's. Once the cabinet is installed, then slide on the escutcheons before connecting the valve's. Otherwise they have to use those split in two escutcheons.

There is no drain stubouts? Is that still work in progress?

·
Super Moderator
6,797 Posts
There is no drain stubouts? Is that still work in progress?
Drain stubs are there miami, just have to zoom in more.

I agree with you and Joe to wait on the cabinets to see how they are made first. Either way, doesn't really matter much, just more work, his call.

·
Premium Member
11,883 Posts
Best way is to cut the hole for the sink in the top. Then reach through the hole and put on the stops and trap adapter. Of course, this won't work if the sink is already glued to the tops.....

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Drain stubs are there miami, just have to zoom in more.

I agree with you and Joe to wait on the cabinets to see how they are made first. Either way, doesn't really matter much, just more work, his call.

View attachment 655063
I saw the holes but didn't see the flush cut PVC pipes. Looking closer I see purple primer on the inside surface, so I guess that's the branch of a sanitary tee and the plumber primed it for some unknown reason. He just need to cement in street trap adapters there.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts