DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had a regular switch for my dining room- I took a picture of it as I was installing my dimmer switch. See the attached photo.

After installing the dimmer switch the dining rook light with dimming abilities is working just fine..... EXCEPT!!! that when the new dining room dimmer switch is in the ON position the kitchen lights that are apparently on the same line do not work. If I turn OFF the dimmer switch the kitchen lights work as normal.

Any ideas?

the new switch had FOUR wires ==a red wire with white stripes, a ground wire, a red wire and a black wire.

I did NOT touch the existing connection of all the connected white wires in the box. In the box there are three grey wires going to the existing switch and one of them was on a screw.(photo) and of course there is a ground wire-- I hooked up the red wire with the white stripe on the new switch to the grey wire that was attached to the screw-- I assume that was the common wire and the other two grey wires I hooked to the black and red wires on the new switch. (also connected ground wire )

Did I buy the wrong switch? Did I do it wrong?

I am just a homeowner but too embarrassed to call a handyman to do such a small job. this should be easy ( or I thought)

Attachments

·
A "Handy Husband"
12,513 Posts
Both the black wires in the top of the photo must connect together and to the same wire on the new switch.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Both the black wires in the top of the photo must connect together and to the same wire on the new switch.

Could you elaborate on that please. The two black wires that are NOT on the screw get connected together? and attach that to what wire on the new switch? I appreciate your answer but it leaves me with more questions than answers so I drew a sketch of what I have done- if you could correct me using the references in A- thru C in the sketch I would appreciate it .

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
21,651 Posts
The two black wires are connected internally in the switch. That hole in the back of the switch is the same as as the screw connection. They need to stay together on the dimmer.

Don't use those push in connections on any new switch or receptacle you install. They are a very common cause of loose connections.

·
A "Handy Husband"
12,513 Posts
No. The black wire on the screw and the one stabbed in the back next to it get connected together. Since I don't know what switch you are using, I will guess they connect to the black. These two wire are the hot feed in and the feed out to the kitchen. The other wire stabbed in the lower position connects to the red. The red wire with the stripe is not connected, put a wire nut on it. It is used for a 3 way switch installation.

Reactions: Fdirr201
1 - 6 of 6 Posts