DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
retired painter
13,127 Posts
Hard to find grease fittings on modern day vehicles. My 1951 F1 has over 30 zerk fittings. Seems like the vehicles in the 60's and 70's cut that down to a dozen or so and now it's rare to find a zerk fitting on any factory joint.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
As Mark said, fewer and fewer components have factory grease fittings, but if that's what you are referring to you should find the spec in the owners manual and should use something compatible. As far as preserving the boots, the main thing is to watch them closely and don't squeeze to much in them because too much grease is a sure way to pop the boot out. The exception is driveshaft U joints, on which I like to see just a bit ooze out around the edges. As far as components without fittings, not much you can do other than wash under there as thoroughly and often as you can. I remember a lot of guys would get under there with oil and a brush and swab things down, but I always figured that was just a good way to collect dust and dirt.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I didn't clarify what I was referring to very well. I have seen online videos stating to keep your boots, hoses and such in good shape by using a product called, AT205 Reseal. Has anyone ever used something like this and does it work? It is pretty expensive for a small bottle.

Are there other types of items that would work just as good, if it does work, that are more economical?

Sorry for the poor initial question.

·
Master General ReEngineer
10,200 Posts
I have seen online videos stating to keep your boots, hoses and such in good shape by using a product called, AT205 Reseal.
Ayuh,...... Amor-all will make 'em purtty,.....

Usually, by the time the rubber sun rots under the vechilce, the parts is worn out too,.....
New part, comes with a new boot,.....
Last ones I bought were a pretty deep blue,.....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.