DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I need to get electricity out to my detached garage. It's a row home, surrounded on either side by other row homes. The garage borders a garage to its right and a yard to its left. It is about 40-50ft away from the house and closer to 100ft away from the main circuit breaker.

I understand that a single circuit is an option but being I want to run a lighting system with a switch as well as an outlet system for various power tools and a compressor I believe I will need more than just one circuit..right?

This is why I'm thinking about a sub-panel. Now, my electrician already mentioned suspending wires in the air from house to garage through eyelets... I'm assuming a sub-panel requires individual conductors, so is it feasible to suspend these through the air? It doesn't sound right to me. Let me know what you think and any/all suggestions will be appreciated!

Thanks,
Brandon

·
Super Moderator
22,585 Posts
A sub panel requires four wires. They can be individual wires in conduit or in a cable . There is no requirement for them to be individual.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
joed,

What type of wire would I be looking for then for a 100a sub-panel? I'd prefer to be able to have them suspended vs underground due to budget issues.

·
Super Moderator
15,655 Posts
When you price copper your feeling about aluminum will change.

Reactions: tylernt and jbfan

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I understand copper is much more expensive. I'm just worried about the safety of the building as it is a row home. Would the quadraplex run from the main panel all the way to the sub?

·
Common Sense Common Guy
139 Posts
As noted earlier, aluminum is what brings the power into your home today. There's nothing wrong or unsafe with today's aluminum wire for this application. My detached garage is fed with AL to a 100A sub and I'm very comfortable with it.

·
A "Handy Husband"
13,551 Posts
No the quad can not be run in the buildings. Switch to a cable like SER or conduit with individual conductors. There is no product you can suspend and go the whole way panel to panel.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.