DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

My basement has clearance of 7'9". I am installing suspended ceiling with about 6" clearance.

I have 2 small windows at my basement, and the suspended ceiling will cover about 1/5 of its height. Is there a trick/tip on how to build the suspended ceiling grid around a window so that the ceiling doesn't cover the window?

Also I need to build vertical suspended ceiling at the bottom of the stair to cover the ceiling. Is there a trick/tip of doing this?

Thanks!

·
Registered
37,222 Posts
Post some pictures.
Often times the window can be framed in to form what would amount to a reverse tray ceiling.
Not a great way of explaining it.
Add 2 X 4's to the floor joist then add 1 x's and install the ceiling up to it.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I found these ideas on the web. They would work, but is there the how-to instruction to make them?

For the window:
249a8aa1458a277dc324353d9d50f535.jpg

For the ceiling above the stair:
525x525px-LL-b98641df_vbattach22694.jpeg

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
I would drywall that small area at base of steps, then build a small drop in the ceiling on both sides for your drop ceiling to die into. Same thing around the windows. I build a miniature wall an inch deeper than what the drop ceiling is going to be. Go about six inches past on the sides and stay out a foot or so from the front of the window area. Drywall the wall and the ceiling of the window inset. Drop ceiling dies into the wall on three sides. I have pics but not on my iPad I'm using now.
Mike Hawkins:)

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
for the pictures you showed, we used silicone to glue the tiles in place. also use pop rivets where needed to keep the track in place.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ron45 said:
Make sure your window meets the egress requirements before........
Well, my window is clearly not considered as egress window due to its size and location. So, I don't think there's any codes governing the suspended ceiling surrounding/covering the window.

My goal is to not covering it too much and blocking natural light.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is it acceptable from VA building code point of view to partially cover a window in the basement?

·
Registered
5,842 Posts
If your basement has an entry door to the outside, then your window is fine.
If not, you must have an escape route that's big enough. If you finish the ceiling and your window doesn't meet that requirement, then..........
I am not talking about partially covering the window, even though that is debatable..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts