DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10,484 Posts
Never tried it myself, but I see no reason nails or screws would not work.

If its thin enough, could even glue it, if you can't have visible fasteners. Hardboard (high density fiberboard) is frequently installed this way.

Correction --- I have installed 1/4" hardboard panels. I used finishing nails. Forty years later, still holding up.

·
Naildriver
17,083 Posts
I think you will find it to be HDF and not MDF. Commonly known as hardboard. Can you post a picture of what you have, now? We may be able to help tell what it is and what you need to replicate it.

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
Hardboard would protect a lot better than MDF (which is kinda soft) but I think hardboard only comes thin - 1/8" is maybe the thickest I've seen.

·
Registered
7,894 Posts
How was the old mdf attached? If nail and nail heads weren't flush, use the nail pattern to match. If screws, best if you first countersink so the screw heads aren't too proud or mushroom the panel. MDF doesn't give so screw head could split the edge, mushroom, strip the screw hole or the screw can snap off at the head. You also may want to put some blocks where the old and new edges meet so the joint is flush.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.