DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Electrician
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Doing a project and will be using MDF to sheath a 2x4 wall(to match existing).

What is the best way to attach the MDF to the wooden 2x4.

·
Registered
7,595 Posts
Never tried it myself, but I see no reason nails or screws would not work.

If its thin enough, could even glue it, if you can't have visible fasteners. Hardboard (high density fiberboard) is frequently installed this way.

Correction --- I have installed 1/4" hardboard panels. I used finishing nails. Forty years later, still holding up.

·
Electrician
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Code:
Curious why you’re using MDF?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Building a tech booth in our church auditorium and the place was built they used MDF on the bottom 5' to have more protection from damage from things like soccer balls.

I want to match the existing for an uniformal look.

·
Naildriver
12,423 Posts
I think you will find it to be HDF and not MDF. Commonly known as hardboard. Can you post a picture of what you have, now? We may be able to help tell what it is and what you need to replicate it.

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
Hardboard would protect a lot better than MDF (which is kinda soft) but I think hardboard only comes thin - 1/8" is maybe the thickest I've seen.

·
Registered
6,821 Posts
How was the old mdf attached? If nail and nail heads weren't flush, use the nail pattern to match. If screws, best if you first countersink so the screw heads aren't too proud or mushroom the panel. MDF doesn't give so screw head could split the edge, mushroom, strip the screw hole or the screw can snap off at the head. You also may want to put some blocks where the old and new edges meet so the joint is flush.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts