DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Ed
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
need some advice:

i had an engineer come out and draw up a support beam for a wall i am removing. its going to be approx 15 ft long and 6x6. the plan calls for 2 2x6s under each side. how do i secure the steel beam to the supports???

we were originally thinking using LVL but it was getting too think/deep.

·
Ed
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks welding isnt going to work for this one.

proposed steps:
run a top plate (2X6) along underside of floor joists.

to connect to top plate: (best option)
1. have them cut holes in top flange for bolting into top plate
2. drill through the top flange into the top plate and bolt
3. use a .22 cal driver and have some fun

is there a bracket or connector I can use to connect the ends of the ibeam to the supports (2 2x6)

·
Registered
11,194 Posts
Why not have the metal fabricator weld up a "U" shaped bracket that would be bolted to the "I" beam and the double 2x6's.
Another alternative would be to use steel poles and bolt them to both the floor and the "I" beam.
Ron

·
Civil Engineer
5,832 Posts
Not to get too picky, but you (and I) live in a seismic zone with a maximum anticipated earthquake of approximately 6.5, so the code requires design for a lateral force of 0.15g (at least as I recall). The engineer really should have designed the connections for you as well as sizing the beam, since the connections are critical to proper performance during an earthquake. I suggest you ask your engineer to review the connection detail you have apparently had the yard fabricate for compliance with MA seismic requirements.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts