DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I tiled my new shower, I forgot to put extra bracing behind where the two brackets will go for holding the heavy glass shower door. Right now it's just tile with kerdi board behind it then open space until the drywall of the wall on the other side. I know that won't be strong enough. I've measured and opened up the wall on the other side and both brackets will be very close to a vertical 2x4. I can see two ways to give those bolts a more solid backing. One would be to put a 2x4 in horizontally from the stud 16" to the left to the one close to where the brackets will go and flush with the drywall on the shower side. The other would be to put in a smaller square of 2x4 held in place by metal brackets attached to the adjoining stud. This would save opening up as much wall but wouldn't be as strong. The question is, would it be strong enough? I just don't want the shower door ripping its bracket bolts out over time.

Any opinions or options I'm not considering?

Thanks!

·
retired framer
51,420 Posts
When I tiled my new shower, I forgot to put extra bracing behind where the two brackets will go for holding the heavy glass shower door. Right now it's just tile with kerdi board behind it then open space until the drywall of the wall on the other side. I know that won't be strong enough. I've measured and opened up the wall on the other side and both brackets will be very close to a vertical 2x4. I can see two ways to give those bolts a more solid backing. One would be to put a 2x4 in horizontally from the stud 16" to the left to the one close to where the brackets will go and flush with the drywall on the shower side. The other would be to put in a smaller square of 2x4 held in place by metal brackets attached to the adjoining stud. This would save opening up as much wall but wouldn't be as strong. The question is, would it be strong enough? I just don't want the shower door ripping its bracket bolts out over time.

Any opinions or options I'm not considering?

Thanks!
Go in theu the back of the wall and put a block between studs.

·
Registered
11,354 Posts
I've measured and opened up the wall on the other side and both brackets will be very close to a vertical 2x4.
screw another 2x4 to that one. if you enclosure is anything like mine, all the wall does is keep it from falling over, and not even that really.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts