DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m remodeling my house. The kitchen sits directly above plumbing supply lines in the basement. I haven’t plumbed the sink or dishwasher yet, so I can easily run a dedicated line to the dishwasher if that’s the better option. The sink supply will be T’ed from 3/4” PEX lines below and through the floor (peninsula sink). I can then T the dishwasher supply from the 1/2” sink supply below the floor, or just T from under the sink, which is what I’m used to seeing. If I do it from below, I’d put a shut off there. The dedicated line with shut off seems like a cleaner installation, but wanted to run it by this forum first.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Considering the short length of lines it's unlikely that you'll notice a performance difference between the two piping options.

From the perspective of being able to quickly find and shut off a value in an urgent situation, locating the dishwasher shutoff valve in the sink cabinet where most people would think to look makes more sense, regardless of which piping option you choose. That also prevents a potential future problem of access to a valve if you ever wanted to finish the basement ceiling.

Chris

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The closer shut off does make more sense. I was curious if plumbers ever ran a dedicated supply for a dishwasher, but I guess there’s no real reason to do so.

·
Property Mgt/Maint
6,658 Posts
+1 keep the local shut off under the sink. Running a dedicated line is not necessary, but if you are running pex lines out of a manifold, there is nothing wrong with that either.

·
retired framer
44,123 Posts
Even with a seperate line for the washer bring it to the sink cupboard and shut off there.

·
Registered
7,925 Posts
If you tee off your sink supply line it may be worth installing a shutoff valve after the tee junction, in case you want to shut off the D/W yet still have access to water from the faucet.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I’m thinking definitely a separate shut off under the sink and possibly a dedicated supply as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts