DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a 15 ft awning with rafter mount brackets from Sunsetter. Without doing my home work I assumed the roof truss went all the way out to the facia board. It didn't. I was planning on attaching the rafter mount to the bottom of the truss board that is parallel and just above the soffit itself. All that extends out from the house outside wall is a roof rafter board (2 x 4). After some thought I figured I would add a board to the main house wall. (This is where you see alot of the awnings mounted and I believe where they would prefer you to mount it. This won't work in my case) Then I added a horizontal board from the one I added to the house and attached it to the facia board (2x6) right below the rafter. The facia board isn't designed to carry a load so I need to add a board or two to the rafter board and the one under it to help distribute the load. I have 4 rafter mounts so the awning will be supported in 4 places. I have an idea where I think I should add the two support boards but would like some advice from someone who has more experience with something like this. I'm thinking I probably didn't need to add this extra support but I just feel more comfortable. I've attached a picture showing what I explained. Hope it comes thru ok I had to really shrink it to get it under 100. The awning weighs about 160 pounds.
Hope my explanation is good.
Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
11,194 Posts
I'd mount the awning on the wall.
Ron

·
Super Moderator
12,628 Posts
I see nothing wrong with your plan as pictured except instead of the bracing you show in yellow I’d use a plywood gusset covering the entire triangle and through bolt the brackets.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is nothing wrong with your plan as pictured except instead of the bracing you show in yellow I’d use a plywood gusset covering the entire triangle and through bolt the brackets.
I was thinking about using bracket gussets to attach the two boards but the plywood idea sounds really good as it should distibute the load across the whole board - great idea.

·
Super Moderator
12,628 Posts
Glue the plywood in addition to your fasteners and you should be good to go.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Awning Installation

Have you considered consulting with SunSetter Awnings? SunSetter has a rafter adapter bracket available for purchase that may solve your installation challenge. From the sunsetter website:"If your awning will be installed on Angled Rafters, you might need to add the OPTIONAL RAFTER ADAPTER BRACKETS"

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm using the rafter adapters but with the way the roof design is they aren't long enough - thats why I wanted to add the lower board plus I also wanted to get some more stability.

Also I did consult with them and the person I talked to wasn't really that helpful. They kind of kept to the script. Plus without seeing my situation its hard for them to comment.

thanks though

1 - 8 of 8 Posts