DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. New here.
Have a sunroom roof from he!! Pic attached.
When the rain is torrential it looks like it's raining inside the sunroom. A lot of water coming in everywhere. If rain is average, we just have some drips in one area that we catch in a bucket.
I think when the rain is really heavy the water backs up under the flashing because of the low slope.
I got a quote from a roofer who wants to pour a rubberized product for $3400. I wouldn't mind paying it, but am planning on replacing the main roof soon and extending the main roof over this sunroom.
Looking for any suggestions for a temporary DIY solution that will last 6 months until the General contractor can get to us. Yes the wait is 6 months here in North Florida! Trying to figure a way to keep the water from backing up. Maybe replace flashing?
(The white mess on the right was me trying to fix the drip. Didn't work.)
Thanks in advance for any advice!
Sky Cloud Plant Tree Composite material

·
Registered
34 Posts
Tell us more about the leak inside.
Where exactly do you see water coming through the roof decking?
Have you removed any drywall ceiling/insulation to easily see where exactly water is entering the structure? Pictures?
How much water is lekking inside during a normal average rain? we talking 50 gallon barrels, gallons, cups or paper dixie cups?
How long does it take to see water inside after it starts raining? Immediately or does it take a few minutes?
How long does it take to stop leaking/dripping steady after it stops raining?

Kind of difficult to trace leaks via internet. maybe with these answers we can dial it in to the source for a easy fix until your GC arrives.

Or you could skip all this and go directly to installing a tarp or canvas tarp over the sunroom entirely. Tuck it under shingles few courses up and under the valley detail. Crew it down in a three foot square pattern with insulation plates or strapping. It will ruin your roofing, but it sounds like your replacing it anyways. If that does not stop the leak it should slow it down quite a bit. Its a bit more involved than what few words i used to describe how to do it. But i think you get the drift.
You could hang plastic inside up in the ceiling and collect the water. zip tie a 3/4" vinyl drain line piped outside or to a sink drain. Live with that until the GC arrives.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Depending on how much you want to spend... you can put some Ice and water shield (I think its called peel and stick in florida). You can stick it to the shingle and to the flat roof transition. You could just get a really big strong tarp and nail it down.
The rubber roofing is a good option. Not sure how your contractor plans on putting a shingle roof over a flat roof.. typically they dont allow shingles over a flat roof like that.

·
Registered
8,168 Posts
Spray foam into all of those gaps could help for 6 months. Would be easiest to demo later. Each panel is a trough, and hopefully there's some water block under those gaps but maybe just some roof cement that failed.
I think only fix is to cut off raised flashing and make the sunroom roof along that area flat. Only then proper flashing can be added to transition from roof slope above to low slope below. Each raised flashing removed and see what you have to do with the joints. Pooled water in photo suggests the roof is more or less flat, maybe middle sagging. Maybe a good thing the roof leaks instead of holding water and collapsing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts