DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have an outdoor sump pump that trips the GFCI circuit I have it on. Out of the water the circuit and components work well. I have read forums to learn that a class B 30mA GFCI could alleviate the problem.

·
Registered
37,180 Posts
Reactions: PaliBob

·
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek
3,403 Posts
Does it trip only when the pump turns on? If it trips immediately on plugging in, even before the pump turns on, then it's probably the switch rather than the pump. If it only trips when the pump comes on, then it's more likely to be the pump. Are the switch and pump separate, with the pump plugged into the switch? If so, try plugging the pump into the receptacle without the switch and see if it trips. Also try plugging the switch in with some other load (like a lamp or something) to see if it still trips.

Chances are it's the pump. Sometimes they aren't properly sealed and leak a bit of water inside, causing a ground fault. Be careful while testing - there's almost certainly a real ground fault and it's a dangerous condition to mess around with.

·
Tool Geek
2,590 Posts
.....I have read forums to learn that a class B 30mA GFCI could alleviate the problem.
Drew welcome to the forum. There is such a 30mA device designed for equipment only protection. Whether or not such a device would be legal in your location would depend on your local Authority. Here is some background.

To help with GFCI issues I made my own GFCI margin Tester

·
Registered
89 Posts
Is this something that just started happening after it has been working for awhile?

If so, you probably need a new sump pump. Most likely a seal is defective.

It's possible your GFI has gone bad. A new GFI is around $10.00. It's a cheap attempt at trying to solve your issue before going to purchase a new sump pump.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts