DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. I recently bought an old house with a stone foundation and we have some problems with water in the basement when it rains. I have been working to fix some grading issues outside and I'm also going to put gutters on the house to get the rain water away from the foundation.

There is a sump pump in the basement that is in a square pit in the floor, the pit is about 2 ft x 1 ft wide and only 9 inches deep. In fact, the well that is sits in is not even all the way through the concrete floor slab. There are no drain tiles going to it, but I'm thinking that having the standing water in contact with the floor is causing a lot of our wet spots. I'm wondering if I make the pit deeper will that help to keep the water away from the floor slab. My only concern is if the water table is that high, then the sump pump will just run constantly to try and lower the water table. Any advice is appreciated.

·
retired framer
39,947 Posts
You best bet is to dig it deeper and install a plastic sump with holes in the sides and back fill with crushed grave and have a sealed lid so you don't get evaporation into the basement. The other choice is an outside perimeter drain that drains to a lower area or a pump out there. And if you have a high water table, draining or pumping is the answer..
If after the pump is installed lower you still have water problems then you would need to trench the inside perimeter and install drain pipes to the sump.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts