DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need someone to tell me the RIGHT way to install a sump pump liner.
I have hydrostatic pressure bleeds in my basement floor and live on a high water table city lot. Did a lot of research on line and dug a hole in floor for a sump pit.
Now it's time to either dig 12 inches deeper, or set my crock in and back fill.
I have a rigid plastic liner with smooth sides and no weeper holes only a 4" inlet hole.
There is clay under floor and no internal perimeter drains, but about 8-12 "weeper" worm-like holes on the walls of my hole feeding it, and filling it up.
My question is, that I've had several people tell me several different ways to handle the liner.
Should I drill holes all over it?
On bottom?
Should I NOT drill on bottom 1/3rd to incorporate a "catch-basin"?
Someone please help me out here.
I have a hole in my floor, and am on VACA from work, and need to handle this soon.
Thanks.
Stevo

·
Civil Engineer
5,832 Posts
The goal of a sump pit is to allow water to flow into the pit freely, then be removed by the pump. The goal of the liner is to support the walls so they do not collapse. In my house, I installed a plastic liner in my pit. The liner is actually a portion of a garbage can. My liner is about 15 inches in diameter, and 24 inches deep.

I drilled a series of 1/4 inch holes throughout the liner, spaced about 3 inches apart. There is also a larger hole that allows a 2 inch diameter pipe to enter that drains a separate room. This arrangement has worked well for approximately 20 years. I have no holes in the bottom of the liner at all, only holes in the side.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. So what I'm getting, is drill holes ALL OVER the sides, or should I just make one RING of holes around liner, about half way down?
The water weeper worm holes in the soil are located all around my pit walls, from just under slab, to the very bottom, which is currently 36" deep.
My liner is 18"x30".
Should I allow water to flow and accumulate in gravel on bottom of pit, if I leave the bottom half of liner hole less, or should I just keep digging down till I no longer have weeper holes on walls?

·
Civil Engineer
5,832 Posts
I drilled holes throughout my liner, spaced about 4 inches on center horizontally, and about 6 inches on center vertically. The depth of the sump pit is determined by the drawdown you want to achieve. In my setup, the pit is about 28 inches deep. I set the float so the pump turns on when the water gets to within 4 inches of my slab. The pump turns off when the water is about 6 inches above the floor of the pit, for a total of 24 inches of drawdown. Most sump pumps have a fixed depth of water they can pump to, mine cannot pump water any lower than about 4 inches, hence I conservatively set the shut off at 6 inches.

As for your inlet pipes, as long as the pit is lower than the inlet pipes, you are all set.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts