DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just pulled down a dilapidated little addition on a house I'm renovating and I found the summer beam pokes through the basement foundation wall. I have never seen anything like this before. I'm worried this exposed end could open up the beam to rot or infestation now that it is no longer protected by the addition roof. What do you folks think?

Attachments

·
retired framer
46,902 Posts
What is the plan for the area?
You could cut it flush to the brick and fashion a flashing over it to keep it dry.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was planning on leaving the area empty I pulled it of because I'm re-siding the back of the house I would really like to rebuild that door to the basement and get some kind of roof or hatch to keep it dry

·
retired framer
46,902 Posts
I was planning on leaving the area empty I pulled it of because I'm re-siding the back of the house I would really like to rebuild that door to the basement and get some kind of roof or hatch to keep it dry
And a new step up to the door? type or style?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh I'm going to take that door out. I was talking about the door down to the basement that is currently a sheet of plywood

·
retired framer
46,902 Posts
Here's some better images
So if you cut the beam off you could cover the end of the beam with sheet metal and cover the top of it with siding,
For the basement door you might just extend the shed roof over another 4 ft.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts