DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone - I have a foundation that had been buried under brush for many years. It's approximately 40 years old, it's 9' x 9' and it's 9" thick. The concrete is filled with tons of aggregate and I was hoping for some suggestions on how best to attach the sill plate to this. I had a hell of a time drilling holes in a similar slab on my property last year and I'm thinking I need to use something better. I'm currently using a Milwaukee 5371 Hammer Drill

Attachments

·
JUSTA MEMBER
19,127 Posts
I forgot it's proper name at the moment, but 40 years ago I used a nailer that used 22 blanks to fire nails through a 2X into concrete, to act as a sill plate.

They were available at a rental store just for this purpose.

There are also TAPCON screws, but I have found them brittle in hard concrete, so they might not work.

RAMSHOT, that is the name for the 22 blank nailer.

ED

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the suggestions - I was considering renting a Hilti rotary hammer to do this. I tried ramset and the concrete chips and I've had a hell of a time with tapcon too. I keep hitting rocks and I can't get a clean hole, bits get dull very quick and my hammer drill is struggling.

·
Premium Member
2,323 Posts
what is the plan for the slab?
I am guessing a shed of some sort since you are talking
about the sill plate. I see that it is very close to grade level
what are your plans to prevent flooding?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've never had an issue with water pooling around the slab, but I would definitely try to pitch the grade away - It's going to be a shed. Right now I have a lot of arborist wood chips as mulch around that area, so I can rake some of that away.

With regards to ramset, I've used it before on a similar slab and it chipped the concrete and when I contacted them about it, they said that given the age of the slab, I would better off using Tapcon.

·
JUSTA MEMBER
19,127 Posts
It would not hurt to try using PL Construction Adhesive.

I have stuck many things together with it, and when trying to take it apart later, the materials failed before the Adhesive did.

Wood splits before the adhesive releases, Brick breaks beside the adhesive, etc.

ED

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Personal preference. For REAL construction of houses, etc., construction cement is a non-starter. Additionally, Ramsey, Hilton, or any other powder actuated fastener is also a no go. Only thing that works are bolts in the concrete. That said, this looks like a shed, put the pt boards in place and hilt I them into place, for Ramset, yellow loads with 2 1/2” fasteners with washers. No worries. Ron

·
Contractor/Engineer
2,413 Posts
Retired licensed remodeling contractor here;

The concrete will be very hard after all this time (if it was a good pour to begin with).

Hammer drill and red heads are the way to go. (expansion bolts)

A good hammer drill and bit should go through stone, let alone concrete, very easily.

Shooting anything will be a waste of time and materials. IMHO

Gluing with PL is amateur, especially if your are ALSO advised to use a mechanical fastener.

Get all the debris away from the foundation - dig down at least 12" and 12" wide and fill with trap rock (gravel) so drainage OFF the concrete is encouraged.

Put down a moisture barrier so your wood plate does not touch concrete (wood can never touch concrete).

Have fun! You'll have a great reward when it's complete.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.