DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hopefully not much damage that I'd need to break up stucco, repair wood, and patch things up.

I was thinking and hoping to scrape off the loose/peeling edges, remove old caulk, any worn foam sealant, then seal & recaulk, and paint around the affected area.

For caulk, would I be better off using regular window & door caulk, or better to use like SilkaFlex multipurpose/for concrete caulk?

The right side of the window, while not really cracking or visibily peeling off, pushing at the edge, feels like the caulk/sealant material is loose from the wall and just held in place by the coat of paint along with whatever is still adhesive about the sealant.

Road surface Asphalt Beige Wood Grey
Building Wood Grey Rectangle Facade
Window Wood Rectangle Line Wall

·
Red Seal Electrician
745 Posts
I would butter that seam up with latex caulking, and then install 1-by-something window trims. Rabbet out 1-2" so they sit flush on the stucco.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would butter that seam up with latex caulking, and then install 1-by-something window trims. Rabbet out 1-2" so they sit flush on the stucco.
Thanks, can you elaborate on: the 1 by something window trims, any links to that? And the process of rabbetting out material (wood or stucco?) to have the window/trim flush with the stucco?

I'd try to DIY if I can, or find a contractor otherwise, but would like to know exactly what needs to be done.

·
Red Seal Electrician
745 Posts
Wooden 1x4" or 1x6" boards.

Basically make the board thinner (on the backside) to overlap the window a little. I would be doing it with a table saw and maybe some chisel work. My FiL uses a cordless planer.

·
Registered
5,635 Posts
Your window needs a drip ledge at the top.
Water is entering at the top and running down the sides.
Other than caulk there is no mechanical means to prevent it in place.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts