DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've started having an issue where the lights will suddenly dim and flicker in about half the rooms in the house. It happens every few hours or so and lasts for 1 second to several minutes.

Where could this be coming from? The rooms affected are on different circuits!

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
Are all these things on one circuit breaker in the main panel ?
Or does this involve several circuits ?

You probably have a loose connection somewhere
but to narrow it down requires information

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They are not on the same circuit. I have identified at least three different circuits that have the problem.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
We've started having an issue where the lights will suddenly dim and flicker in about half the rooms in the house. It happens every few hours or so and lasts for 1 second to several minutes.

Where could this be coming from? The rooms affected are on different circuits!
They are not on the same circuit. I have identified at least three different circuits that have the problem.
(Presumably, these disturbances are NOT associated with any device in YOUR home "starting-up"!)

For how long has this been occurring and did any significant event take place (at home or in the vicinity) prior to this?
Are the affected circuits all from the same "switchboard" as those which are not affected or are they from a Sub-board.
Are the lights which "dim and flicker" of the same type (Incandescent, CFL, LED) as those that do not?
Are the lights which are affected (all) on "dimmer" circuits.
In what type of "area" do you reside (Rural, Suburban, City, Small Town, near "Industry"?)

Is it possible for you to leave a Volt Meter "permanently" connected to an outlet on one of the affected circuits in a position where you are likely to be able to "read" it during any future disturbance - to note any change in the supply voltage?

I ask these questions because it could be that there is an external site sharing at least part of the "line" supplying your service which is causing this somewhat regular disturbance by applying a significant "load" for a relatively short time.
However, since only "some" lights are affected, it may be because of the "sensitivity" of a particular type of lighting.

·
Registered
261 Posts
hey,

When the lights dim, are any other lights getting brighter??? If so, call the POCO asap. Have them check there equipment for bad or loose neutral.

If this were me, I would unplug all electronics until situation is rectified. If it is a bad neutral, when lights dim others get brighter. One leg drops voltage then the other raises voltage to maintain 240 across the two hots.

follow all suggestions posted. search forum, many threads on this topic.

bernie

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
What are the numbers of the breakers controlling the affected circuits? In a panel every other breaker is hooked to a different phase of the incoming service. For example, if the breakers on the left side of your panel are labelled #1,#2,#3,#4, etc., #1 and #3 are on one phase and #2and #4 are on a different phase. If all of the affected circuits are on the same phase, check your incoming supply to that phase and also check the lugs.

Sent from my LG-D415 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
755 Posts
I'm no electrician, but from what I'm reading here, you could have a compromised neutral. And the neutral might not be "yours"; it might be at a neighbor's on the same transformer! My understanding is that it's not something you want to delay having fixed; if it is "yours", it can destroy electrical and electronic devices and sometimes cause fires.

The power company has a device they can plug into your meter base to test back to the transformer; I don't think it will test anything in your house.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all your responses.

I live in an urban area, there are some businesses nearby but no manufacturing or industry.

All the lights are CFL and there are no dimmers anywhere.

The affected circuits do alternate in the box. The second floor lights for example are right next to the downstairs lights. The second floor lights never have dimmed but the first floor lights do.

I'm going to call the power company and have them come check stuff. They're probably closed today.

This has been going on for about two weeks. About a month ago there was a lightning strike on the block which blew up a tree, but there were no problems right after that, so I'm not sure it correlates. We didn't even loose power when that happened.

·
Licensed electrician
13,396 Posts
The utility should have trouble trucks 24/7.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Someone came out from the power company and found a problem outside. She's working on figuring it out now. Till they get it fixed they won't reconnect power to our house because they said it would be a "liability."

·
Registered
261 Posts
good the hear. glad it is fixed. This is a very common problem. When I worked for a POCO this was the second most common problem. No power was the most common....

make sure you check all electronics and other devices to make sure they function correctly. Sounds like this was going on for awhile. When the lights dimmed others went high with higher voltage which can lead to failures. If so contact POCO claims dept and house ins if extensive damage.

bernie

1 - 16 of 16 Posts