DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
On the main panel i have a one hundred amp breaker going to a subpanel. In the subpanel i have a forty amp breaker and a sixty amp breaker. The forty amp breaker is fine, never has popped: i have thrity amps going to the forty amp breaker. My problem is the sixty amp breaker keeps popping. The first time it popped was about six months ago. It popped one time six months ago and I never had any other issues until now. It keeps popping, after a few hours of being on, sometimes it popps in less than an hour and a half. I have forty amps total going to this sixty amp breaker. I took off the panel to the subpanel and see no issues with the wires, all the wires are all securly tightened into their respective places. The sixty amp breaker feels very warm to the touch, but not burniing your fingers hot. My next step is to take the sixty amp breaker and replace it. Hope this solves my dillema. Thank your for ready my post and i look forward to reading your thoughts.

·
Registered
423 Posts
If there is no apparent overload then I would replace it. They do go bad sometimes but not often.

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
How do you know you are drawing 40A on that circuit, did you measure it?? There could be a problem with something plugged into that circuit.

·
Registered
77 Posts
What is the 60 amp breaker feeding? Also, when/if you replace the breaker check the bussing or the "place where the breaker plugs into the panel" and see if it looks discolored or burnt. A poor connection may have caused some heat build up and burnt the bussing. If it is you will need to replace the panel, a new breaker wont help for very long. The good news is the breaker is tripping, so its doing its job.

·
Banned
5,990 Posts
It keeps popping, after a few hours of being on, sometimes it popps in less than an hour and a half. I have forty amps total going to this sixty amp breaker.
The sixty amp breaker feels very warm to the touch, but not burniing your fingers hot.
Average current value = 40A.
RMS value of periodic current spikes = 20+ A, giving over 60A RMS? You'd need a scope to see them, though, if they are there.

What is the voltage drop across the closed CB when 40A is being pulled? I'd think 60 mV or less is good, more than 160 mV is bad.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
popping breaker

Thank you so much everyone for your input. I will take your views into consideration. Have a nice day!

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Amp meter

Thank you so much everyone for your input. I will take your views into consideration. Have a nice day!
Don't forget to throw a amp meter on that panel first to see what's happening. Go from there.

·
Registered
9,361 Posts
Breaker feels very warm?

Instantly take measures to cut down on the load. You could be frying the "place where the breaker plugs..." right now.

Then get it fixed as quickly as possible.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts