DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

This my second post and closely related to my first post, but felt it was wise to keep the questions independant.

I'm getting ready to finish my basement in a home which was constructed in 2008 in St. Louis, MO. I'm debating about putting down a subfloor prior to the finish flooring in the basement. I'm having a hard time fulling apprecating the risks of not including a subfloor such as 1" XPS + 2 layers of 1/2" OSB board.

I plan to have two types of flooring installed, carpet and linoleum. To date, I have not had water in the basement. In addition, I have no dampness in the basement. (It's currently unfinished, but is filled with stuff and dirt). I'm not sure how relevant it is, but 2 of the 4 basement walls are above grade.

Please help me understand what I'm risking or gaining by not applying a subfloor prior to finishing the flooring. I've read a number of articles but it's not really clear to me how this applies for my climate. Most folks I know who have finished basements in this area have not used a subfloor or even considered it.

Thanks,
Matt

·
Retired Moderator
25,769 Posts
It's no advantage that I can think of----

What is the reason to do it? I think it would harbor mold underneath---

I've built quite a few basements and never used any thing special on top of the finished concrete---

I do like ceramic tile as a basement flooring ---

·
Registered
9,230 Posts
One reason for a basement subfloor is for (thermal) insulation. The ground has a year round temperature of about 55 degrees, and not having a subfloor can increase your heating bill if you like things cozy and warm.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the feedback guys. I was at my parents over the holidays and they have no subfloor on their recently finished basement. The flooring felt fine to me. I gave it a test run with my barefeet and felt it was fine.

·
Retired Moderator
25,769 Posts
We get to hear of failures here---water heaters bursting---pipes leaking---floods and other water in the basement.

The floating 'subfloor' panels and lament flooring almost always need to be removed because the water under it will not dry out.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What about barricade subfloor

http://www.ovrx.com/basement-flooring.html

or just laying .5 inch xps sealing joints and screwing down with 5/8 tongue and grove plywood into the concrete.

I considered that exact product, but really wondered what I stand to gain with it and what I risk without it. Is it just a warm floor? If that's all, I think I'm ok passing. But, if it really does provide some moisture protection in my case, I'd consider it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
If your basement is dry, you will have no problems installing carpet with a pad and vinyl flooring. I have done it hundreds of times in central Iowa and with no issues. You will not gain anything by installing a subfloor.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If your basement is dry, you will have no problems installing carpet with a pad and vinyl flooring. I have done it hundreds of times in central Iowa and with no issues. You will not gain anything by installing a subfloor.
Ok. I think my mind is made up. Pad is going directly on the slab.

Thanks for all the replies.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts