DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm starting a bathroom remodel in my old post and beam house, and have a question. I want to remove the carpet in the bedroom, and the 1/2" layer of plywood below it, to refinish the original wide plank pine flooring.

The bathroom will be all tile. I started removing the wide plank in the bathroom, as I wanted to replace it with a better 3/4" subfloor and then go over it with uncoupling membrane + tile. I want the tile to be as close as possible to the height of the wide plank flooring (about 7/8" to 1"). Would you put down 3/4" (plywood or OSB)?

Am I crazy to consider 15/32" plywood + uncoupling membrane + tile to keep the height very close to the original flooring? I may add a heating element under the tile so that will add to the height slightly.

The joists are 2x7 full dimensional and about 12" OC for the most part. One of the joists is about 4" wide. This wood bends nails like they're plastic! Gotta love old growth timber. I could also add some blocking between the joists. Thoughts??

Attachments

·
retired framer
44,266 Posts
When the did a mud bed they used to put the subfloor level with the joists.

·
Registered
6,704 Posts
I'd use 3/4" plywood and fudge the difference with a threshold in the doorway. You can make oak threshold that's planed to a bevel, different on each side, to match different heights. Plywood underlayment will give you flatter surface to work. Couple coats of redguard on plywood so the thinset will cure more naturally.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd use 3/4" plywood and fudge the difference with a threshold in the doorway. You can make oak threshold that's planed to a bevel, different on each side, to match different heights. Plywood underlayment will give you flatter surface to work. Couple coats of redguard on plywood so the thinset will cure more naturally.
I was hoping to avoid a threshold altogether. The bedroom wide plank ends in the middle of a joist, directly in the center of the doorway. Good idea on the redguard, I didn't think about that - will definitely do that.

·
Registered
740 Posts
As there is already a subfloor the thickness of the plywood is not that important. The decoupling membrane will prevent cracking of the floor tiles though still a good idea if using very large tiles to run them with their longest dimension parallel to the joists.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts