DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Depending on the load you plan on using you might have to upsize the wire to account for voltage drop.
You should be alright up to 60 amps with copper wire.

·
Registered
187 Posts
deverson said:
Depending on the load you plan on using you might have to upsize the wire to account for voltage drop.
You should be alright up to 609 amps with copper wire.
Don't forget the 2 ground rods at the subpanel

·
Resi EC
480 Posts
You should be alright up to 609 amps with copper wire.
Did I miss something .... 609Amps?:eek:

·
Resi EC
480 Posts
Can I use 2-2-2-4 mobile home feeder to wire a 100amp subpanel in my new garage 300 ft from my house
You probably will not use the full 100 amps.
Do you know what the loads will be in the garage?

IF you want the full 100 amps you would need to run 4/0 AL or 2/0 CU.
IF you know the loads the wire can be sized for it.

EDIT: that will meet the voltage drop 'recommended' by the NEC.
There is nothing saying that this is required, check local building codes

·
Electrical Contractor
3,368 Posts
Can I use 2-2-2-4 mobile home feeder to wire a 100amp subpanel in my new garage 300 ft from my house
The short answer is NO!

#2 mobile home feeder is not rated for 100 Amps under the circumstances you have outlined. #2 Aluminum wire is only good for 90 Amps in this scenario. It's only approved for a 100 Amp service as the sole feed for a dwelling unit. Since a detached garage does not qualify as a dwelling unit, you are limited to 90 Amps.

You can still use a 100 Amp panel in the garage, but connect the #2 feeder cable to a 90 Amp breaker in your main house to be compliant ..... UNLESS ...

If you want to deal with voltage drop issues, then you will have to increase the wire size relative to your connected load. Once you increased the wire size, then you will be able to use a 100 Amp breaker at the house.

While there are many posts here that calculate voltage drop based on a full 100 Amp load, in real life that is rarely the case.

Have you performed a load calculation on the garage?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts