DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Licensed electrician
13,405 Posts
Dose the code state that we have to install a separate ground rod for sub panels?
If it is in a detached structure, yes. In the same structure as the service panel, no.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
As hard as it is to believe, I for the life of me cant find where this bonding screw goes. I like your idea SD515 of bolting a lug to the side and attaching to that. I will look one last time under some of those existing set screws to see if it can go there but I'm pretty sure it wont (those set screws are bigger diameter then the bonding screw). Thanks everyone for all your help.

·
Master Electrician
1,453 Posts
Whether it’s an attached or detached structure, a sub-panel gets a ground wire from the main. So yes, the sub-panel gets bonded to the main panel.

·
Sparky
706 Posts
As hard as it is to believe, I for the life of me cant find where this bonding screw goes. I like your idea SD515 of bolting a lug to the side and attaching to that. I will look one last time under some of those existing set screws to see if it can go there but I'm pretty sure it wont (those set screws are bigger diameter then the bonding screw). Thanks everyone for all your help.

the screw doesnt thread into the bar, it threads into the actual enclosure, it should go all the way through the bar

·
Licensed electrician
13,405 Posts
You should be able to check the panel label to see where the screw goes.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts