DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!
I would like to have a 50A 240/120 sub-panel in my basement. There is a less than 40 feet run 2-conductor and ground wire cable there with the following print on it 6-6-8 Type SE cable Type XHHW CDRS 300V to ground E11134M (UL). Also, the ground wire that goes to my main panel is running very close by.
Question: for a sub-panel, can I run the 2 hot wires from my main panel on this cable and use the ground for return, or very much against NEC? The ground needs to be separate for a sub-panel, but as I said, running close by already.
Thanks for your help!
Mike

·
Engineer
191 Posts
Question: for a sub-panel, can I run the 2 hot wires from my main panel on this cable and use the ground for return, or very much against NEC? The ground needs to be separate for a sub-panel, but as I said, running close by already.
Thanks for your help!
Mike
No, you cannot use a ground as the return. You will need 3 conductor wire for 2 hots and a neutral. It will also contain a ground wire. The neutral and ground will also need to be unbonded in the sub panel.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Mike: for a 50 amp subpanel you need at least #6, 4 conductor to properly feed the service as needed. So your looking at: a 50 amp dbl pole breaker coming from the main service equipment to the subpanel line side. Two hot conductors on each line side.. then your neutral on the neutral side terminal, and the ground on its ground terminal side(if not shared..depending on the panel setup). I hope I read comprehended you, answered your question correctly!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.