DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, it seems like you all have a lot of knowledge so I'm hoping you guys may be able to answer a few questions for me.

Here's what I'm doing, I built a garage about 150' from my house and now am trying to run electric from my main panel in the house. I have a 150 amp main and a 100 amp sub in the garage(not bonded, grounded with 2 rods). I want to use a 60 amp breaker in the main for now but would like to run large enough wire to support 100 amps in the future.

Here's the plan. My main is on the opposite corner of the house from the garage so I will have to run the sub feed wires though my basement. I'd like to avoid running them in conduit but if that's what I need to do I can make it work. I then plan to put a disconnect on the outside of the house, this will act like a j box and also help with pulling wire. If I need to change types of wire, this is where it would happen. Then I want to trench 2" Electrical PVC from there to the sub panel.

Here are my questions:
1. Total distance is going to be about 200'-250', which makes this 2/0 or 3/0 aluminum. Will this even fit into a 60 amp breaker? If I need to use a smaller wire to go into the 60 amp breaker, I thought about running copper to the disconnect then switching to aluminum to go to the sub. Is this allowed by code?
2. What type of wire am I allowed to run though my basement? There are so many types!
3. Would this wire need to be in conduit?
4. Are there any issues with using the disconnect for a junction box?
5. What type of wire would I need to be able to run in conduit? I know it has to be "Wet" rated but is THWN the correct type to use?
6. I will be renting a trencher to run this, am I allowed to run water and gas lines in the same trench? If not how far apart would they need to be? I figured I might as well do it all at the same time!

That's it for now, thanks for the help!

A "Handy Husband"
13,836 Posts
If you are running wire for 100 amps just use a 100 amp breaker in the main.

Use SER cable for the basement portion. No conduit required.

For the underground conduit run use XHHW conductors, 4 required.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk
1 - 2 of 2 Posts