DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
You might also consider using aluminum #2 SER for the feed from the main to the garage. It’s cheaper than 6/3 copper and supports 90 amps.

From the garage to the shed you can run 2-2-2-4 mobile home feeder, but it must be in conduit inside the garage, so the conduit has to go into the junction box or sub panel.

You don’t need 90 amps in the shed, but it would be nice to have in the garage sub panel. It’s overkill, but there is no harm in having too much.

That’s what I did for my garage and adding a sub-panel for my kitchen remodel. More power at lower cost. Hard to argue with that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
A "Handy Husband"
11,986 Posts
You might also consider using aluminum #2 SER for the feed from the main to the garage. It’s cheaper than 6/3 copper and supports 90 amps.

From the garage to the shed you can run 2-2-2-4 mobile home feeder, but it must be in conduit inside the garage, so the conduit has to go into the junction box or sub panel.

You don’t need 90 amps in the shed, but it would be nice to have in the garage sub panel. It’s overkill, but there is no harm in having too much.

That’s what I did for my garage and adding a sub-panel for my kitchen remodel. More power at lower cost. Hard to argue with that.

SER is not rated for use underground. MHF would be a bear to pull into conduit. Don't consider either.

Sent from my Lenovo TB-X606F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
49 Posts
SER is not rated for use underground. MHF would be a bear to pull into conduit. Don't consider either.

Sent from my Lenovo TB-X606F using Tapatalk
Please read my post... I suggested SE-R from the main panel to the garage which is IN THE HOUSE, never said anything about using SE-R underground. As the OP stated it’s across the basement with easy access.

Yes, MHF would be a bear to pull in 1 1/4” conduit, since its twisted together making it more likely to jam but three #2 XHHW and a #6 would be easier. Sorry, I should have stated that explicitly.

The clear point is the OP can get higher ampacity at lower cost if he uses aluminum wiring.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts