DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am putting new subfloor in a smaller 1/2 bathroom and have run across a bit of head scratcher.
The joist more or less in the middle of the room is not very straight along the would be seam. There would be probably less than 1/4 “ sitting on joist on one end and then the same for subfloor piece #2 on the other end. My choice here would be maybe to sister a 2 x 4 in on one end, even though it would be tight , and the heat vent goes there.
But.... about 4” away are 2 joists, together that are much straighter. This would cut the room into one piece subfloor being 2/3 of space and the other, with the toilet the other 1/3, don’t know if that is a concern. The problem with the 2 side by side is little discrepancies in height. Wondering if there is a way to level (without sanding).
Concerned about squeaking this way.

I am using 5/8 T&G

·
retired framer
59,756 Posts
I am putting new subfloor in a smaller 1/2 bathroom and have run across a bit of head scratcher.
The joist more or less in the middle of the room is not very straight along the would be seam. There would be probably less than 1/4 “ sitting on joist on one end and then the same for subfloor piece #2 on the other end. My choice here would be maybe to sister a 2 x 4 in on one end, even though it would be tight , and the heat vent goes there.
But.... about 4” away are 2 joists, together that are much straighter. This would cut the room into one piece subfloor being 2/3 of space and the other, with the toilet the other 1/3, don’t know if that is a concern. The problem with the 2 side by side is little discrepancies in height. Wondering if there is a way to level (without sanding).
Concerned about squeaking this way.

I am using 5/8 T&G
If you are joining on a double and one is proud, do the join on the high one.:wink2:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.