DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My basement stairs just have 2x8s nailed into the stringers. I'm looking to finish them up, but I was curious about options....

I figured hard-wood treads would be best looking. But I'm sure I'd have to replace the 2x8's:

What do I put down instead of the 2x8s? 1/2" or 3/4" plywood?

And if I wanted hardwood treads: is it best to just buy the pre-made treads and cut to fit (seems like a lot of waste?). Or is there an alternative?

· Registered
37,499 Posts
Laminate treads are 1" thick and do not need anything under them for support if there's three stringers like there should be if it's built right.
There's very little waste.
Picture may help to see what what your up against.

· Registered
1,169 Posts
depends. if you are using the same stringers you will have to look at the finish floor materials on each floor and then the risers of treads then figure out what thickness they need to be to make them all the same riser height. you can use the standard 1" thick tread with a shim under them if needed to create correct rise.

· Registered
3,049 Posts
Years ago I pulled off the carpeting from my stairs and removed the 2"x8" treads and replaced them with oak treads and risers. There was no center stringer and I noticed that the treads would flex a bit, so I mounted 1"x4" on edge between the two stingers for additional stability, and laid a sheet of 1/2" plywood under each tread to bring the tread height to the correct level. I'm no stair expert but it came out pretty good.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.