DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Trying to replace a bathroom vent fan cover and this simple job is impossible. The replacement from Lowes has the spring clips mounted 7" apart... which is essentially the overall size of the opening... while the holes in the duct are 5" apart. The angles are too great and the clips won't slide in and just tend to reject the cover... and forcing it only breaks the clip mounts. Does anyone know where I can find a cover with the clip mounts more inboard? The fan motor label plate says it is a Nutone Mercury c350.

If none such is to be had I suppose I could make new holes in the ductwork about 1/2" outboard and try that.
 

Attachments

·
retired framer
Joined
·
44,288 Posts
Just use the snips and make the holes slots all the way back to the wall.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, that's one of the things I mentioned above that I thought I might try... except the clip mounts on the new cover are already broken. So I ordered the one I linked above and hopefully that will eliminate the need to try the new holes.

Just use the snips and make the holes slots all the way back to the wall.
 

·
retired framer
Joined
·
44,288 Posts
Yes, that's one of the things I mentioned above that I thought I might try... except the clip mounts on the new cover are already broken. So I ordered the one I linked above and hopefully that will eliminate the need to try the new holes.
Sorry I didn't read it all and just pointed to what I did one time.

That was after I tried to bend a Z shape in the wires, that did,t work. :wink2:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
LOL... I tried the Z bend, too. Didn't work for me either!!

Sorry I didn't read it all and just pointed to what I did one time.

That was after I tried to bend a Z shape in the wires, that did,t work. :wink2:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, Neal, I made the new clip mounts on my 3D printer that work great as far as they go... but this thing at my friend's house still won't go on properly. So I took one of mine off at home and I believe I understand the issue. The problem is the holes they made in the sheet metal for the clips to insert into are just too small. The idea is that once the clips get up in there they spread out and the ramp it creates basically self retracts the cover into place. But the holes they made in the sheet metal are not even as large as the fulcrum on these springs to they never spread apart and create that tension... in fact they even create reverse pressure.

So I am going to have to make new holes after all. I will probably do it like mine that are just slits. I'll drill a starter hole or 3 then use a little keyhole hack saw to make the slit.

And worse, when I took the cover off mine in my guest bathroom I found the fan isn't mounted correctly. It is cattywampus on one side and open to the attic. I was hardly able to get the cover back on because one side was so far up in the ceiling. It's always something. Sheesh. What a bunch of wasted time that could easily be better spent.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got this silly little project done. Turned out the easiest was to just drill a series of holes and then drag the bit sideways to connect them to make slots. Glad to get this one off my list and onto something real.
 

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top