DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
21 - 40 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
I like the traditional dressing like the thread title. But I do use some sausage I crumbled up in it.
I make the turkey stock in advance and use it for the gravy and the dressing.
I never put the dressing/stuffing inside the bird. That really adds time to the turkey and its very easy to overcook turkey.
I use the drippings also for the gravy.

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
So i made the Stuffing today to get a jump on all the cooking ,the wife was telling me dont bother until she tasted real homemade stuffing for the first time vs Stoveptop in a box. Must be 15 yrs since iv had any homemade myself . Worth the work.

·
Registered
8,129 Posts
I made the stuffing yesterday to bring to sons house. Stuffing with gravy is the best part of the meal. (y) I’m also making sweet potatoes and creamed cauliflower.

·
Registered
4,960 Posts
I like white bread stuffing/dressing. We don’t put it in the turkey because it contaminates the turkey with gluten, then she can’t eat it. We make in in the crock pot. I really like institutional stuffing, like in a school cafeteria. Before I retired from a public school, I got in line on turkey and stuffing days and they gave me a double dose.

Reactions: wooleybooger

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
We are having bread stuffing also this year.

·
A "Handy Husband"
13,669 Posts
I like white bread stuffing/dressing. We don’t put it in the turkey because it contaminates the turkey with gluten, then she can’t eat it. We make in in the crock pot. I really like institutional stuffing, like in a school cafeteria. Before I retired from a public school, I got in line on turkey and stuffing days and they gave me a double dose.
My wife makes the stuffing from gluten free bread so I can eat it. I like Sam's Choice (Walmart) Multigrain bread but they also have a white bread.

·
Registered
4,960 Posts
The best gluten free bread we have found is Canyon Bakehouse Heritage White.

·
Registered
24,082 Posts
I don't know. . . gravy, mashed potatoes & stuffing aren't side dishes, they're required! The original pilgrims ate them. We were on the second boat.

'There are only two surviving documents that reference the original Thanksgiving harvest meal. They describe a feast of freshly killed deer, assorted wildfowl, a bounty of cod and bass, and flint, a native variety of corn harvested by the Native Americans, which was eaten as corn bread and porridge." Oct 5, 2020
What Food Was Actually Served at the First Thanksgiving

;)

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
Rumaki - Fried chicken liver with water chestnut inserted, covered with bacon.
We loved deep fried crispy chicken livers. We get them from a restaurant that has home style cooking. They are messy to deep fry at home and spatter and pop.
I also like Chicken liver pate. Great on crackers. We like beef liver as well. Never had foie gras but would love to try it.

21 - 40 of 65 Posts