DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm a student learning how to become a Carpenter, I've just been given an assignment where I have to detail the material list and the making of a 12' x 16' Utility Shed.

On the Material List I was given, it specified that I needed a,

110 Volt small building entrance,

electrical outlets per long wall and 2 electrical outlets per short wall (Around 9 since the door will take up one of the spots on a long wall),

Overhead Light Fixtures (Does not specify type or quantity)

Wiring, connectors and related materials.

I was wondering if anyone could help me out with what the estimated cost of materials would be and an estimation of the quantity of materials.
Possibly where to buy them as well. If I can't get any assistance then I think I should be able to find what I'm looking for myself, but any help would be gratefully appreciated.

·
JUSTA MEMBER
17,422 Posts
It is called a learning experience for a reason.

If we look it up for you, you will never learn to look it up for yourself.

Whatever you find double it, then when it costs less give the customer back the difference and they will be your friend forever.

ED

·
Registered
37,379 Posts
#1, This not a do my home work for me site. Note the DIY in the title.
#2, No one here even knows where you live on the planet since there's no location in your profile or has price's in there heads.
All the items your looking for are available at any local building supply, Box store, or even on line on the Lowes or Home Depot website.
Need some help building a shed or wiring it, or just fixing just about anything where here to help.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Hello, I'm a student learning how to become a Carpenter, I've just been given an assignment where I have to detail the material list and the making of a 12' x 16' Utility Shed.

110 Volt small building entrance,

electrical outlets per long wall and 2 electrical outlets per short wall (Around 9 since the door will take up one of the spots on a long wall),

Overhead Light Fixtures (Does not specify type or quantity)

Wiring, connectors and related materials.

I was wondering if anyone could help me out with what the estimated cost of materials would be and an estimation of the quantity of materials.
Possibly where to buy them as well. If I can't get any assistance then I think I should be able to find what I'm looking for myself, but any help would be gratefully appreciated.
Not to be a mean, but you say carpenter... why are you doing electrical work?

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
Not mean, a legitimate question. My son is a great carpenter, but I wouldn't pay him a nickel to touch any wiring. I can do both (and more), my wife and I having built our house by ourselves, but I never needed any schooling to learn how.

·
Premium Member
11,888 Posts
A lot of carpenters move on to being GC's. It does not hurt to know how to questimate another trades work for a class project.

Perhaps an electrician will give him some basic formulas for calculating wire lengths and sizes or labor factors...

Reactions: kwikfishron

·
UAW SKILLED TRADES
5,341 Posts

110 Volt small building entrance

Tell your teacher it would be a 120 volt small building entrance...:)

If you have no knowledge of electrical hardware then the first place to start is a good book on basic electrical installations. Use the library or go to your HD or lowes and purchase a wiring/electrical installations book.

Reactions: sgip2000

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Not mean, a legitimate question. My son is a great carpenter, but I wouldn't pay him a nickel to touch any wiring. I can do both (and more), my wife and I having built our house by ourselves, but I never needed any schooling to learn how.
I agree. No offense to anyone, but I have seen a lot of hack work from those who are unfamiliar with the code. They have good intentions but just haven't learned electrical well enough.

A lot of carpenters move on to being GC's. It does not hurt to know how to questimate another trades work for a class project.

Perhaps an electrician will give him some basic formulas for calculating wire lengths and sizes or labor factors...

I agree, but if he is actually doing this as work for someone its best an actual sparky apprentice him.

·
Administrator
41,653 Posts
I agree, but if he is actually doing this as work for someone its best an actual sparky apprentice him.
He'll get the actually schooling once he gets in the field. This is just his homework he wants someone to do for him.

·
Administrator
41,653 Posts
Studentlearner.

While most will gladly help you learn how to figure something out. No one here wants to rob you of your education by doing your homework for you.

Reactions: Desertdrifter
1 - 12 of 12 Posts