DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a screened off porch that is attached to the house. The house wall on the porch has stucco that had paint peeling very bad, unlike the rest of the house. It was so bad that I used an angle grinder with flap discs (24 grit and 40 grit) to just totally remove the paint and what looked like a bonding agent or some sort of mastic under it. There was no reason to remove the mastic, which looked fine, but the grit of the discs was so intense it took it off. So now I'm left with bare stucco.

The stucco is chalky, meaning my hand gets white dust on it if I touch it. I'm confused because I read that white dust is a sign of moisture, however I just grinded off the primer/mastic and paint so I'd think it's just ground up stucco dust... right? I don't want to power wash because it's a porch and it has a rug and the water would get all over. What is the next best way to get rid of the dust?

I'm looking to buy some kind of primer for the stucco. I am thinking about a specialty masonry product because it will penetrate the stucco. Right now I'm looking at Seal-Krete Stucco-Guard or BEHR Premium Concrete & Masonry Bonding Primer. There's also ANViL Clear Aquaseal Interior/Exterior Bonding Primer and Waterproofer, but to use it as primer it says mix regular paint primer into it and I don't want to do that because then I'll have to buy another thing. Everything is from Home Depot, that's because I'm near one and don't want to pay for shipping.

The Seal-Krete is listed as a sealer that's supposedly waterproof and the BEHR is listed as not a sealer. Also the BEHR's technical data sheet warns "USE ON NEW OR UNCOAT SURFACES ONLY". I have a few areas with a bit of paint that were unaffected so i guess I wouldn't use the BEHR product on them. The Seal-Krete doesn't have that warning and also it supposedly handles the dust in stucco better (I forgot where I read that).

What do you guys think, sealing or non-sealing? Has anyone ever used either product? Any other product I could find for ~$20 that is good? I don't want to deal with this peeling paint ever again, it was so bad and like 12 hours of grinding over several days.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
I would go with the Seal Krete. It would be best to find a way to remove as much chalk as you can. If washing is not an option, perhaps a blower and a broom or vacuum it even.

I've used the Seal Krete Original in situations like yours with good success. Looking at the specs for the Stucco Guard, it seems to be very similar to the Original in function.

http://www.seal-krete.com/media/12935/Stucco-Guard_101212.pdf

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Any good (ask a reputable local shop) bonding /conditioner (many names for same product). Seal crete is ok. Its no magic formula, paint bonding/chalk/conditioner.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I ended up buying Glidden Gripper Primer/Sealer. It's a multi-surface primer that according to its tech data sheet can be used on Stucco. The Seal Krete Stucco Guard wasn't available in time. Also I called the company who advised me that it's only stocked in southern regions and not typically used in New York. The BEHR masonry primer seems less versatile which is why I went with the Glidden.

Has anyone used Glidden Gripper on stucco or masonry?

It would be best to find a way to remove as much chalk as you can. If washing is not an option, perhaps a blower and a broom or vacuum it even.
I suppose I could get up real close with my leaf blower. Vacuuming worries me that I'll clog the filter or otherwise mess up the vacuum. I bought a scrub brush so I'm thinking after I blow off the dust I'll dip the scrub brush in water and scrub the stucco down. I don't think I'll need detergent because it's just exposed.

Do you have a Sherwin Williams near, ask about their Loxon.
Yeah I do. I've seen Loxon mentioned a bunch of times when I was doing my searching. People really seem to like it. I called SW and they charge $47 a gallon. That seems pretty high. For comparison I paid ~$22 for the Glidden Gripper.

Thanks to everyone for the help.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
Gripper is good primer.
You will need to get all the chalk off to get the best results with it, I would think.
The specs call for "scrubbing heavy chalk..... areas with soap and water"

Another section says "remove dirt and chalk"

That's the advantage with the conditioner/sealer type products like the Loxon and SK, they can better deal with a little chalk on the surface.

I'm sure the Gripper will work great, just get it clean. Blowing might work, if messy. If you have a shop vac, stick a bag in it. The dust won't trash the filter as bad and easier cleanup.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
An update on this from two years later: So far it's held up very well and it's not flaking off or showing any bubbles. The way I applied it two years ago was with kitchen sponges instead of just painting. The surface had a very fine dust even after cleaning and I really wanted to work it in. It took a while but I would take the sponges (I went through more than one) and really rub it in. Then the paint I just painted like normal using a satin latex.

·
Registered
6 Posts
An update on this from two years later: So far it's held up very well and it's not flaking off or showing any bubbles. The way I applied it two years ago was with kitchen sponges instead of just painting. The surface had a very fine dust even after cleaning and I really wanted to work it in. It took a while but I would take the sponges (I went through more than one) and really rub it in. Then the paint I just painted like normal using a satin latex.
How is it holding up in 2021? I'd really appreciate your thoughts! I have a peeling atucco house I'm trying to figure out how to fix...

·
retired painter
11,091 Posts
I have a peeling atucco house I'm trying to figure out how to fix...
Is it just one layer of paint that is peeling? Paint adheres well to clean stucco but when exterior latex paint gets old it's prone to get chalky and latex paint won't bond well to chalk. The chalk either has to be removed or chemically bound in order to have a successful paint job. It's difficult to fix a paint job that was applied over chalk! Best you can do is remove what you can, deal with any chalk and repaint.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Is it just one layer of paint that is peeling? Paint adheres well to clean stucco but when exterior latex paint gets old it's prone to get chalky and latex paint won't bond well to chalk. The chalk either has to be removed or chemically bound in order to have a successful paint job. It's difficult to fix a paint job that was applied over chalk! Best you can do is remove what you can, deal with any chalk and repaint.
Thanks!
Any tips on how to remove the old paint?

·
retired painter
11,091 Posts
When chalky paint has been painted over without cleaning or a binder applied it makes future paint jobs difficult. You can remove what you can and repaint but sooner or later more will pop loose. Pressure washing is probably your best bet.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
How is it holding up in 2021? I'd really appreciate your thoughts! I have a peeling atucco house I'm trying to figure out how to fix...
7 year update: It looks the same as it did the day I painted it. Here's a picture however the paint is covered in a layer of pollen so it's not a great picture.

·
Registered
6 Posts
When chalky paint has been painted over without cleaning or a binder applied it makes future paint jobs difficult. You can remove what you can and repaint but sooner or later more will pop loose. Pressure washing is probably your best bet.
Thanks!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts