DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all. I am new to forum and hoping someone can offer some advise on how to remove a stubborn stain I have in my bathroom sink. It is less than a year old and believe it is vitreous china. I have used baking soda, white vinegar, and a mixture of baking soda and dish washing liquid. I am trying not to use a commercial abrasive cleaner. I have attached a picture of stain.

Attachments

·
Registered
19,914 Posts
Did you try bleach? Of you want a low concentration, you can fill the basin, plug it and add bleach. Let it soak.

Was it there when you moved in?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We remodeled bathroom about 6 months ago and everything was new. We are on a well so I'm sure it's from the water. I will try bleach and advise. Thanks for reply

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
I don't think bleach will do anything. And it could damage the metal.

You need an acid to dissolve those minerals. Try a little toilet bowl cleaner with an extended dwell time.

·
Registered
13,595 Posts

·
Registered
19,914 Posts
If you're going to use a pumice stick and acid. . . just try Comet, first. If the metal corrodes with mild bleach or mild acid, it's not worth having. Sinks are made for a type of waste water that often includes soap and other chemicals. I handwash clothes, frequently, & the water sometimes contains bleach.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks all for the help. Wife had some Bar Keepers Friend and tried it. Made a paste and after letting it set for awhile, used a non-metal scrubber and that did the trick. Thanks again.. This is a great forum

·
Registered
13,595 Posts
If we could determine the exact ingredients in most all of the scouring products I doubt it would be a surprise that they all contain powered pumice. It's been in Lava hand soap since I was a kid when the bar was a dark gray color and if you ever brush your teeth don't be surprised to find the residue paste to be just a bit gritty. Ever wonder why this guy's teeth are so scoured white. :biggrin2:
As a kid attempting to support a infamous 48 ford coupe, I worked in a paint store framing pictures after school and Saturdays. And what did I have to clean the glass, well yes, powered Pumice purchased in 10 gallon kegs and rubbed with my hand until no resistance, I mean 0.0, was felt.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts