DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Lenox hole saw arbor 7L that has a stuck set screw which is used to secure the "dial" with the two pins (shown as "2" in the first image).

I can't figure out how to remove or loosen it. Is it possible? I have already tried to use a slightly larger metric hex key and tapped it in, but that didn't help, probably made it worse.

·
Super Moderator
21,794 Posts
The final option might be to use an arbor press to press it off. The screw will likely be loose but you will need to clean up the scored shaft. If you are lucky the screw has a brass tip and shaft will be good.
Hex screws are usually quite hard so I doubt drilling it will work.

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
Drilling it out may work, but get a reverse drill bit. (left hand)
When enough metal is removed it "might" back out.
(emphasis on might)
That being said....it might be cheaper to just replace it.

·
Registered
13,595 Posts
It's common for set screws to be only case hardened. I'd try a drill to nearly tap drill diameter then using an old bit make meself a 2 blade easy out being I don't have a good Proto easy out set.

·
Registered
7,349 Posts
screw extractor - generically called an EZ Out
They have left hand thread.
You might not find an extractor the perfect size -- you might have to take a smaller extractor and grind the tip until the extractor is the right diameter.
Drilling the hex hole a little deeper might help -- screw will be a little hardened but will still drill readily.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,862 Posts
You probably know and have but before using any of these methods soak it really well with PB blaster or other penetrating oil.

·
" I Can Fix It "
354 Posts
Once you reverse drill it, PB it, and it still wont budge, try putting it in a vice,heat knurled section w/ mini torch while turning counter clockwise. The heat will expand the knurled section just enough to remove set screw. Not red hot mind you heat while turning. Has worked for me in the past on some set screws. Hope it works for you miamicuse.

Reactions: Bondo

·
Registered
282 Posts
If you are careful to drill the dead center, you can drill it out with a titanium drill bit as large as the set screw. It will destroy the set screw as well as the female threads. Then you drill and tap the hole for a new larger size set screw. This has worked for me on cars, where I broke a frame bolt trying to remove it during a bumper hitch installation.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts