DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We recently started reroofing our house, and I have run into a problem that I'm not quite sure how to handle. The house is a 1 1/2 story, with a dormer on the back of the house. The roof had three layers of three tab shingles (blah!) before we stripped everything off and put down 30# felt, ice and water shield, and Timberline "Natural Shadow" architectural shingles.

The problem that we are running into, is that when they (the previous owners) resided the dormer, they only sided down to the top of the shingles at the time. So, obviously, when we stripped three layers off, and only put on one, this created a gap where the siding doesn't meet the roof (images attached.)

My question is, what is the best way to fix this gap? Tar and flashing of some sort? Do I have to reside the dormer (would definitely prefer to avoid that!)

Thanks, in advance, for the help.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
12,630 Posts
You defiantly have a mess on your hands there Wood.

Not so much the gap as much as your attempt to reuse the step flashing and nothing in a tube or can will solve this.

The siding should be held up off the roof at least ¾”.

You need to “properly” install new step flashing. IMO the only way to do that is to remove the siding, especially since it’s vinyl. The wall side of the new flashing should be against the sheathing and behind the WB of the siding.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Replace Siding?

So, in this situation, could I just remove the siding, replace the step flashing, and reuse the siding? Or, would the bottom line of the siding still be to low?? Would I have to reside the whole dormer?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Pipe Flashing?

BamBam, what's the issue with the pipe vent? That is actually new flashing...although I would like to remove the gob of white stuff from the top of the pipe.

·
Super Moderator
12,630 Posts
So, in this situation, could I just remove the siding, replace the step flashing, and reuse the siding? Or, would the bottom line of the siding still be to low?? Would I have to reside the whole dormer?
Yes you can reuse the siding. I’d drop it down though. Set a 1x on the roof then set the J on that.

If you do that you’ll have to re-cut the siding which will leave you short at the top so you’ll need to buy a few panels.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts