DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Elementary teacher on summer break here, 2.5 years into home ownership and I've currently run out of luck on not having to fix something. Super handy dad, but I live 9 hours away from home so he can't be my go-to other than questions, but I don't know what questions to ask at the moment.

Here's the situation. A week ago, the refrigerator stopped working, oven & microwave displays dead, toaster and coffee maker not working, as did the light over the sink. These are all on a series of 4 outlets behind or along the counter in the kitchen. Luckily, the kitchen light and outlet on the other side of the room still worked, so life could resume until I figure out how to address the original problem.

The oven/microwave stuff seemed to be the easiest fix, as I found a GFCI outlet that needed resetting. It is on a circuit with the garage outlet it seems, and that has not been a problem since. Hooray, I did that one without even getting help from my dad. Other outlets still a mystery, so per dad's recommendation, I bought a multimeter to be able to check stuff out.

Today I finally got back to digging into this problem. I checked all the breakers in the basement initially, but none were tripped, so that didn't seem to be the solution. Dad and a handy co-worker mentioned I should take the breaker box plate off and check to see if any of the breakers failed. Just finished that up, and all associated kitchen breakers have full 120 readings. Went back upstairs to check the outlets with a small lamp. Nothing along the counter works and the light over the sink doesn't work.

I went back down to the basement and simply shut off the 2 breakers labeled "kitchen counter" and turned them back on. Upstairs I checked the outlets and light over the sink with my lamp, and they all worked. Interesting. I figured I must be a genius, so I unplugged the refrigerator from the cord we moved it to, and back to its original location, but no power. Moved the toaster and coffee maker off the cord back to their original position, but also no power. Light over sink not working again. Hmmmm. I appear to not have this figured out. I went back to our improvised cords we have been using and tried the little lamp in the outlets again but no luck.

I went back downstairs to see if the breakers tripped. They had not. But I reset them to off and on again, and the lamp again turns on in all the outlets and the sink light works again. I imagine if I try to put the fridge and counter appliances back however, the same shenanigans will go again. I don't know what my next steps are.

Is there anything you people that know stuff about circuits and breakers and wiring and stuff can deduce from my circus? I so appreciate any insight you may have.

Alex

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Interestingly now things are back to original working condition. Unsure what ever made them stop working...unclear how resetting the breakers made it work. Why did they never trip in the first place then? Indications of a power draw problem with the fridge or a breaker problem?

Either way, no more help is needed for now. Hopefully things stay that way!

·
Banned
79 Posts
Interestingly now things are back to original working condition. Unsure what ever made them stop working...unclear how resetting the breakers made it work. Why did they never trip in the first place then? Indications of a power draw problem with the fridge or a breaker problem?

Either way, no more help is needed for now. Hopefully things stay that way!
this was the power company.

If you have solar, then it FOR SURE was them!

If not, then you had one of the two legs go out on your house, so any breakers that were on the good leg, remained on.. and anyone that wasnt, was off, until the power company addressed it. a bad transformer.
A neighbor might have called it in. Or they were working on it and knew it.

A storm will do that.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.