DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning a build a racking system (basically a fence for solar) similar to pictures below. For the vertical posts into the ground, i'm looking at a couple options:

1) u-channel galvanized post (this is 2 lb/foot, but could jump to 3 lb/foot if recommended)
2) square sign post

Looking at pros/cons of each option in particular being able to handle high winds and each of connecting. The plan would be pound these right into the ground (approx 2 feet). Suggestions on either of these or am I on right track?

For horizontal rails, i'm looking at this unistrut style, but open to suggestions.

Based on picture below, does that look about right on how to build something similar?

Below that is more professional version i'd hope to get closer to.

Cloud Sky Plant Land lot Grass

Sky Plant Building Land lot Mesh

Here is more of a hacked together version:
Sky Building Mesh Fence Grille

·
Registered
9,103 Posts
Since there is no dimensions or specifications on the square post you linked to, it is hard to comment on if it is stronger than the U-channel.

2 feet into dirt does not sound particularly stiff (I don't think I would do that for even a chain link fence), but depends on height of the panels, and wind load per post.

For strength in a post, you need depth --- i.e. that U channel would be a lot stiffer/stronger in the 3 inch direction than in the 1-1/2" direction.

·
Registered
9,103 Posts
Seems the vertical orientation is a more recent concept, where they put solar panels back to back, and face them east and west. Its called bifacial vertical mounted PV. The idea is that it takes up minimal area, and the land in between the panels is to be used for a practical purpose -- typically agriculture.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts