DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a junction box that has power coming into the box (checked with voltmeter) but when connected to any source like a light there is no power to the source. I have connected them properly hot to hot, neutral to neutral and connected them with wire nuts. There is power as far as the connection but then nothing. I also checked the lines using a circuit tester and the lines appear to be fine. It doesn't make any sense that the power would not flow through the join to the connecting wire. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
A "Handy Husband"
11,847 Posts
You have a poor connection somewhere. May not be at your new connections.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am checking between hot and neutral. The voltmeter shows 113 volts. And we tried it with a simple light circuit on a switch which used to work just fine. Thanks for helping.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
113 is a little bit low for line voltage. Might be phantom voltage.

Temporarily wire that hot and neutral into a receptacle and plug any incandescent lamp into that recep. Switch the light on and off and see if the voltage goes away when the light is on. That's phantom voltage.

If the voltage partially goes away, go look and see if a light turned on anywhere. If it did, you're looking at a switch loop.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts