DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been painting rooms for a few years now. Mostly in my own home. I have gotten really good at cutting straight lines. But there is still one thing with my brushes that messes me up. Sometimes a few bristles will strick out at the very bottom edge and create little streaks. I am using Woodster nylon brushes with water based paint. Sometimes it happens, sometimes it does not, and all with the same brush. I cant seem to figure out exactly what is causing it. Too much paint, not enough, bad angle? The brushes seem in good condition after I clean them.

Any ideas on how to fix this, is it normal?

·
Usually Confused
7,579 Posts
Same response as the pro. Often I lose or wreck the thing it came in (shuck !?!) and just wrap the brush in paper towel and an elastic.

·
Premium Member
7,684 Posts
Really just the nature of the Beast. Nylon brushes and the tiny filaments can do that sometimes. I usually cut any “strays” off with a razor blade and they are good to go once again.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
I think that's one of the differences between an amateur and a pro. A pro instinctively knows how to keep the bristles working together. If a bristle gets weird, he instantly knows something is not right and resets it. Or he cuts the thing off.

It helps if the brush is a little damp with water before you put it in the paint. Never use a dry brush or roller.

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
I have never prewet a brush or roller, nor have I worked with anyone who did. Not saying its not a good thing to do, just saying its not a must.. But yes, cut it off.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts