DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello...
I am buying a mobile home that has 100 amp service.

I want to remove the propane stove and hook up electric. Wiring up to the inside panel is too challenging for me as the home has extensive work and is basically sealed up completely. Someone put a pitched roof on it, Masonite siding all around it, and concrete blocks under the Masonite with no access underneath whatsoever. It has a fairly new square d 100 amp panel inside the home but it is beyond my skills to get a stove wired up to this panel...

So I want to use the main meter socket combo which has a single 100 amp double pole breaker and a little flip cover. I don't see anywhere else to add breakers in this.

I assume I will need to change the meter socket combo out, and may as well just go with 200 amp service since I am looking at like 10 feet max of service entrance cable. Then just run an additional 100 amp subpanel over to the mobile home to wire up the stove?

Unless I am missing something is there a way to hook up another breaker for the stove to the existing meter combo?

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
Remove one of the existing breakers,
Then use that slot to run a sub board
The sub board would run what was already there,
And the stove.
All this depends on weather the existing system can handle the extra load.
Have you done a load calculation ?
maybe post pictures of your panel and service ?

:glasses:

·
Super Moderator
20,937 Posts
Sounds like the meter socket breaker combo is not on the mobile but remote. If that is true you can not do as you plan. Only one circuit is permitted to run to the home from the remote service.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK so it looks like I will need to change the meter combo out and go with 200 amp service.

I am trying to think how to do this. I want to hook up two separate 100 amp subpanels here.

The first will be the existing 100 amp inside panel.

The second will be an exterior 100 amp panel which will have a 50 amp breaker for the stove.

The meter combo will probably have feed through lugs which I can't use since both my panels will be 100 amps.

Is it OK to run each sub off of a separate 100 amp breaker?

I will also need to trench a new run for the second panel underground and then choose a spot on the porch to mount the panel correct?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts